Removing a stain on my macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook: 2.16ghz / 1gb ram / 120gb HD
So I just bought my macbook about 2 weeks ago and I bought a black incase case along with it (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/13-neoprene-sleeve-cl57089) and also put on the invisible shield. I noticed after i took it out that there was some black stains on the side of it. Most of it is on the invisible shield, but theres some on the macbook itself. This didn't start till after I put on the invisible shield, which was about a week ago.

I've tried a couple of things to try to take it off but nothing is working. Anyone ever have a problem with this before? Any ideas?

Got some pictures below.

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

One stain is pretty obvious, but theres another light black stain that runs right under the ports..it goes from one of the macbook to the other. All of these stains are only on the sides of the macbook.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
That was the very first thing I tried, had no luck with it. Unless I'm doing something wrong. :[

Wow I thought that thing would take out everything. :p Hopefully someone else can help you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Apparently this is pretty common with the neoprene sleeves and the White Macbooks.... I saw lots of these problems on the review portion of the Incase sleeves on Apples site.

I saw someone with the same problem mention that using a white pencil eraser worked well to get rid of the stains.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Invisible Shield... I think it's the black (or Burgandy) die on the Neoprene bleeding onto the white Macbooks.

Let us know if the White Pencil Eraser tip works for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow I thought that thing would take out everything. :p Hopefully someone else can help you out.

Thanks, me too. Poor thing isn't even a month old :Grimmace:

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently this is pretty common with the neoprene sleeves and the White Macbooks.... I saw lots of these problems on the review portion of the Incase sleeves on Apples site.

I saw someone with the same problem mention that using a white pencil eraser worked well to get rid of the stains.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Invisible Shield... I think it's the black (or Burgandy) die on the Neoprene bleeding onto the white Macbooks.

Let us know if the White Pencil Eraser tip works for you.

!!! Man this worked like a charm!! Well, it won't come off of the invisible shield, but I don't mind about that. It came off of the macbook just fine!!

Is there a good sleeve you can recommend? Or maybe I should pick up the tan colored version of the incase one.

Thanks again!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I also considered the Tan, or even an older Black that has the Green lining... in the end I spent some extra money and went with the iSkin Soho... I should have it by Mon/tues... If you'd like I'd be happy to post a review of it once I have it.

I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Great job!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure thing, I'd like to see how it is. I might still opt for the tan version...I still like the incase sleeves =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad, iPods, MacBook, Mac Mini, iPhones
Hmm.. I've got the neoprene incase sleeve and a white macbook. i've used it for a long time now, (three months) and have no ill effects... perhaps it in the way that i carry it... just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
I have a Tucano polycarbonate second skin for the Macbook...any problem with those? Only used it for three days so I can't be sure how it will turn out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ajlwoody - I was actually looking at that one last night and planned on picking it up this weekend. So hopefully I'll be able to.

Caoimhín - How do you carry it? Shouldn't it be the same..i mean, they both just involve the macbook being inside the sleeve. What color is the inside of yours? I heard that the older ones were green inside and those didn't create any ill effects, but the new one with black/burgundy interiors do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz White MacBook | White iPod Video 60 gig | 20 gig 4th gen iPod | 15 gig 3rd gen iPod |
I have gotten stains on my white iPod and I polished them off with a good ol' can of Brasso.

Reaction score
Hi, I wouldn't recommend using the Magic Eraser on the polished surfaces of the Macbook. It works miracles on the rough surfaces like the top case but it is still a mild abrasive which can damage polished surfaces (also a warning on the package). For effects the Magic Eraser can have on the top case see here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.