iMac G3 purchase advise

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am pretty much new here and i am just after some advice
when buying a iMac G3.

I haven't used macs much at all to be honest.
However recently i have been working at a school
which uses iMac G3's.
I have grown quite fond of them and seeing how i can
pick one up for under £100 i may buy one.

I have a few questions about the G3 which i would appreciate
if you guys could answer (im sure you know more than me)

- There are several models of the iMac G3,
Is there much difference between them?
Would it be best to get a 2001 model compared to a 1998?

- Are they capable of running broadband,
and do they have ethernet ports for connecting to
a router?

- Is it possible to run the latest Mac OS on them??

Thanks for reading, Lozz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
hey, i would highly suggest looking at a g4 model because g3 is geting a little old these days.

also most of your questions can be answered at lowendmac.com
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
I myself work with and own iMac G3's... They are commonly categorized as "old" but, I have been running MAC OS X (tiger) and have had no problems, except for replacing the hard drive... I can pretty much say there not that old, the other's just want you to spend more money... I would go with a 2001 it has ethernet ports and if you get a 400MHZ or Higher, you get excellent video capabilities and it includes firewire ports...

If you need more help finging the right iMac G3 for you, PM me... (personal Message) or email me @ [email protected]...

Also! They run from Free-to-MOST $75

Happy to Help!
iMacKid500 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
no g3 iMac supports USB 2.0. The newer versions 400 MHz and faster have FireWire which is a requirement for tiger, the latest operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
Like already said, you want to get one of the later ones for firewire. The later iMac G3 models also have video mirroring so you can mirror the iMac's display onto a bigger VGA monitor (if you'd like!)

I'd say try to aim for one that has discs, i'd personally want the original box but that is rare and up to you. When I was shoping for one on ebayUK I noticed a lot of people didn't know a great deal about what they are selling - take that as you like but I would much rather buy from someone who knows their stuff, the product is more likely to be cared for.

Good luck! As said G3s are getting old but they are still very nice, they have their limits, like a15inch screen but for under £100 what do you expect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Spend a bit more and get an iMac G4 or and older iBook G3 or Titanium PowerBook. I got my PowerBook for a bit over 200 pounds. It was well worth it. It screams with Panther and those generations of Macs are when they started to look more simple and elegant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.