My Fonts are screwed up

Reaction score
Hi,

A while back ago, I mean years ago, I installed a lot of of fonts. Then I noticed that some text were not displaying correcty. It happens mostly in Safari and in Adium. In Adium, it happens when I copy and paste to Adium. I hear it could be a corrupt font, but I tried changing the fonts and it still happens.

My workaround is to use Firefox instead of Safari. Firefox displays all fonts correctly and does not garble the text at all (which is weird). I even installed Camino, and that doesn't garble text either.

Attached is wikipedia.net on Safari.

Please help me, or point me to the right direction.

Thanks!!

garble_text.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, johnnyNO5.

Download MainMenu and launch it to run the Cleaning -> Clean Font Caches...

Do you use Mac OS X's Font Book to manage your fonts? If so, maybe you should use a more robust font manager than Font Book.

At school we use Extensis Suitcase and it works well but it is expensive for a non-professional user. A good compromise is Linotype's FontExplorer X which is a freebie. It is far from perfect but it works ok: I use it at home myself.

And when you set up your font manager, cut down on the open fonts: it will help speed up Mac OS X and your Mac and you can use the font manager to weed out duplicates or corrupted fonts.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi MacHeadCase,

Thanks for your help, but it is still screwed up.

I installed MainMenu and cleaned the font cache, then rebooted. I installed FontExplorer X and again cleaned the font cache, then rebooted. I did use Font Book, but I really like the FontExplorer X, so I will use that from now on. Thanks!!

Any other suggestions??

btw, how do you cut down on open fonts, clear dupicates/corrupted fonts?? :D

M

MacHeadCase

Glad you like the app!

You disable fonts by going into FontExplorer X's Library tab and you click off the box at the left. Those that are greyed out are needed by the system so you can't touch those.

When you want to enable some temporarily, you click on the + sign on the bottom left to create a new set. You can then go to the Library tab, enable the font(s) you want in that set, right-click on the fonts you just enabled and choose Add to Set (you just created).

Just remember to disable those fonts once you are done with a project to keep your Mac lean and mean. To remove a set you created that you don't need anymore, just highlight it and press the Delete key on your keyboard.

font_explorer.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.