i need help! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book
ok i see alot of new macbook user threads and i really didnt want to start a new one cuz im sure it gets old but, i need help iv had mine for 3 days and cant really figure it out well, is thier any sit or book i could read to help me figure out the basic stuff like changing icons and just the lil fun stuff...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
there is also a book called the hidden manual or something like that....

how i learned how to do everything? just play around and figure it out, if you cant, search our forum, if you dont get decent results make a new thread

i have also learned a lot from simply reading forums
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I picked up "Mac OSX Tiger Edition, The Missing Manual" by David Pogue before I got my mac and it made everything a a lot easier. Plus whenever I have a question like the one you asked about icons, the book has it all...

As already said though, the best way to learn is just playing with everything. If you run into a snag, search on this forum and you're guaranteed to find a thread by someone who has already done the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
I'm sure going into the Apple Store wouldn't hurt, though that's sort of what this site is for...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
I picked up "Mac OSX Tiger Edition, The Missing Manual" by David Pogue before I got my mac and it made everything a a lot easier. Plus whenever I have a question like the one you asked about icons, the book has it all...

This is a great book. I have it and have learned so much. Highly recommended.

William

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I agree with the book recommendation, anything by David Pogue is great!

I would also recommend relaxing and letting the "mac way" come to you -- don't try to micromanage files, etc., like you have to do in windows. Macs are extremely simple to use, you just need to let go of the harder windows ways. Trust me, I had a hard time when I switched, but once I realized that letting the software and the computer do things the easy way, I was hooked forever! Never buying another PC (though I have to work on them at work -- I think of myself as being "bi-lingual").

Good luck and welcome to macs. Let us know what else we can help you with!

Reaction score
Since I prefer a more visual approach to learning, I was a fan of Murphy Mac when I was new to Macs. It's loaded with screencasts. The left hand column of subjects should help get you started. Hope this helps.

And I agree with skybolt, try doing things the way Mac wants you to do them. That way you won't be fighting the OS, some things will be easier, and you'll be much more knowledgable and able to help others. Later on if you want to customize or figth the OS you'll have a firm grounding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.