17" vs. my Dell 8600 15.4" 1920 x 1200

Reaction score
Hello

I am in the market for a new notebook and am considering a 17” MBP. I need a laptop because I frequently travel to and from home and need my own computer, but size is important because I do not have much of it. I looked at Dells website to find the specs for my 8600, and Apple site to get the specs on the 17” MBP. To my dismay, the 17” is not only shorter, but only 1.4” wider than my current setup. To me this does not appear like much. Has anyone taken a 17” MBP and compared it to a 15.4” non-Apple notebook in person? Is it really that much bigger? I figured the price difference between each setup wouldn’t be much, and the 17” would more than suffice, but if it is as “big” as everyone says I would rather not get it.

Thanks for all your help,

Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hello

I am in the market for a new notebook and am considering a 17” MBP. I need a laptop because I frequently travel to and from home and need my own computer, but size is important because I do not have much of it. I looked at Dells website to find the specs for my 8600, and Apple site to get the specs on the 17” MBP. To my dismay, the 17” is not only shorter, but only 1.4” wider than my current setup. To me this does not appear like much. Has anyone taken a 17” MBP and compared it to a 15.4” non-Apple notebook in person? Is it really that much bigger? I figured the price difference between each setup wouldn’t be much, and the 17” would more than suffice, but if it is as “big” as everyone says I would rather not get it.

Thanks for all your help,

Phil

I Have a 17" Dell Inspiron and a 15"MBP. I really perfer the Dell as the computer to use at home because of the size. If you're going to be traveling, the 15" MBP may be a better buy for you. Unless you absolutely need the screen size of the 17" MBP, stick with the 15...The only real benefit you're getting is 1920x1200 resolution. If you can, check out and Apple store...you'll be apple to see the difference there.

And one more thing, even though the 15" MBP is small dimension wise, it's still pretty hefty. Specs say something like 5lbs and change, but it does have some weight to it.

OP
P
Reaction score
My travel includes to and from my apartment to my home, and an occasional trip to the on campus library. I really am used to the 1920 x 1200, my Dell screen has spoiled me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
My friend has a 17" laptop.

Seriously, it's HUGE. I wouldn't recommend it. It's hardly portable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
honestly, I am not discouraging you from buying a mac over a windows box, but if I may offer this advice... forst go to an apple store and see the computers. I have a 17" Powerbook and, although I dont HATE it because it is awesome (when its on a desk), it sucks to travel with... but I dont travel much so it kind of balances out for me

all in all, I love the screen size and that it runs OS X over windows, but I hate traveling with it. If I had to do it over, I would buy a 15 inch PB or MBP.

ste's 2 cents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
You could always get a 15" MBP for the road and attach it to a larger monitor (the resolution you stated is like the 23" Cinema Display, if I remember correctly). This gives you portability and screen space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.