Thoughts on MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
30gb Black iPod Video || White MacBook 2.0GHz 1GB-RAM & an absolute beauty
I just received my MacBook today at 5.00pm! And my order was sent at 2350 and confirmed at 2358 last night... they did promise a delivery time promise of 24 hours if my order is confirmed before 2359! :D However, slightly more than 24 hours from then do I realise some issues that bug me.

I only started using it at about 7.30pm and it's now almost 2.00am as I'm typing this. It's my first formal foray into the Mac world, and this is really my first laptop. I never needed one, but now... well, school beckons. :p

The packaging was as beautiful as I thought it would be, like that of my iPod. I held it in reverence. I think I'll never be able to throw the box away. My iPod packaging is still with me, albeit very dusty, and I don't think I'll throw it away even after my iPod goes to R.I.P. (hope not, but it's reaching its 2 years use by December...)

Maybe I'm a complete computer idiot, but I was confused at the power plug for about 15 minutes before my dad came to the rescue. I don't know why but I simply could not understand how everything comes together, and I blame it on the 60W adapter (we use 120W or something and a different kind of plug-pin here, cue blank look on own face when the father mentioned voltage).

And maybe I'm too used to using Windows, because I never thought of using 'automatic' as my default setting for connecting via Ethernet wire for a cable modem service. I think I spent about half an hour on this, and a few more minutes calling up my ISP (the tech guy was patient and probably a Mac user, considering his familiarity! I know the company uses PCs because I'm an employee there actually :X)

Everything so far has been relatively perfect for me regarding installation. And may I take a minute out to marvel at iTunes on an actual Apple computer. I know it's the same with PCs, but hey, the interface/background makes me want to weep. I still have not gotten round to syncing it with my iPod yet though.

A few things I do have issues about are:
1. the trackpad... I know of the scrolling thing, but it doesn't work 100% of the time on mine. More 50%! Is this something to be worried about?

2. the "click". For some reason, I immediately detect a difference in the 'clicking' firmness on the most left, right and centre of the 'mouse-clicky-thing'. Should I be worried? I don't feel I'm getting results 100% of the time on the furthest left, it's not very firm and annoying me to no ends at the minute. Fortunately I'm typing now.

3. the heat. The heat near where the charger is (I'll assume it's the battery area) is UNBELIEVABLE. Or is it because I have this machine on for so long? Or because I have been transferring stuff and what-nots to this baby? I would never be able to put this on my lap! It's worrying me as well, or is this normal MacBook behaviour? I can't get the fan application to work but I'll be restarting this baby soon to see if it works then.

4. This might be simple but I'm a bit of a Mac-Idiot (TM) now... Using Firefox now, where can I change the default language for all these typing/spelling stuff to UK English? I hate that all my 'realise's are being underlined. :(

The 3 main issues are as above, and I'm so worried I might just go down to a service store to beg for help. Though that said, typing this whole chunk of stuff? NICE KEYBOARD KEYS! :D I don't think I have ever gotten used to a keyboard this easily/quickly. Usually I'd need a few go's at one before I am familiar enough to type without looking at the keyboard, especially when I type in the dark.

And am I the only one who feels this compulsive need to wash your hands every half an hour or so? Gosh, I really need a nice plastic-y pad over this beauty.

I'm naming her (because I'm a feminist ;) ) Anastasia.

OP
Ryvyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, there were a few times my computer came back from being asleep in the following manner:

me: mouse-click
*blank*
me: persuasive mouse-click + enter key
*blank*
me: ...
*white flicker across screen*
*blank*
*comes to life!
me: !

Should I be worried? I read that some of the problems I listed above + this are usually present only when I have an external hard drive. Must admit that it's not in right now and my MB seems to be okay. But I never noticed before this. And why should the MB do that? It's not supposed to work anyway but a wee wee wee wee bit slower. :\

A bit disappointed, just a wee bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
LOL, I felt pretty much the same way about the beauty of the Macbook when I received mine earlier this week. I got a bunch of covers and protection-related stuff for it, so I'm good.

1) The trackpad: I would have agree that it's a bit peculiar. It doesn't seem to work alongside my finger movements 100% of the time (compared to my PC, which had no problems with this at all). It does what I want about 90% of the time, but the other 10% is basically me trying to move the pointer and not getting any feedback. I assume it's something you get used to. Try playing around with the mouse settings in the systems preferences area.

2) The click: Not sure about this one. I noticed that it's not as firm as my PC.

3) Heat: Macbooks are known for getting hot. I don't think it should be too bad (maybe it's because I'm used to the high temperatures that my PC is always at), but if it gets annoying just use smcFan Control or some similar program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
My macbook is two month old now, (ALREADY??) I have never felt any of those "omg its getting hot" syndromes, maybe im lucky... or my room is very cold :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I haven't had any problems with heat (yet) either.

OP
Ryvyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys,

Now I'm worried. I think I'm just going to bring it in because I can't place my hand comfortably over the hottest area for more than a few seconds.

Gosh, I guess I'll just see this as a chance for my colleagues to see how pretty this is then. Positivity!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
OP
Ryvyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to look in the local Apple store(s) tomorrow and check out the skin, i think they probably have them (because one of the retailers have the most useless iPod stuff even, haha). Going to check out the trackpad & clicky thing too, it's like I can't hear much of the click on the left. On the right is this loud-ish 'click' and firm touch to hand.

Well, the fan program is on by now, it's currently at 58 degrees, which I hope is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Search for, download and install the Dashboard widget "iStat Pro" on your Dashboard. It'll tell you all kinds of nice stats, one of which is the actual temperature of just about every kind of component that has a temp sensor. You can have it read in F or C.

For example, mine is currently at 142F for my CPU, enclosure bottom is 94F, Memory banks at 122, etc. This will tell you if it's really hot, or if you just aren't used to laptop heat. I say laptop heat, because most laptops get hot, especially under use. My Dell gets pretty toasty, especially if I'm streaming a webcam and someone's connect to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz BlackBook 1GB Ram 160GB HD
I, like you, just received my macbook (first mac) yesterday. I love it so far, and I'm glad that i decided to buy one.

1. I was having problems with two-finger-scrolling for a while until i decided to put more space between my fingers, and I've found that it helps a lot. Now it works 95% of the time.

2. The click is not as responsive as other laptops I've used but it really doesn't bother me very much and i haven't noticed any difference in the areas of the button that i click on.

3. I haven't been experiencing heat problems at all, but then again, i have only been tweaking preferences and downloading programs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.