USB WiFi and Powerbook Won't Connect

Reaction score
I have a Pismo Powerbook with 384MB Ram and Tiger. I bought a "GigaFast" 802.11b/g USB WiFi adapter which I installed and set-up as instructed. When I open the Network Preference Panel it's seen as an Ethernet device (en1) displays as "active." When I open the GigaFast Preference it sees whatever WiFi networks are available.

Here's the problem ... when I select a network and press the "connect to this network" button all that happens is an eternal "connecting ..." message, but it doesn't connect.

The vendor can't help and the manufacturer recently went belly-up due to price pressure from China (or so they said).

The only hint of a possible cause is a message in the Network Preference when I select "Network Status." It shows the WiFi Adapter to be active but also delivers the following message:

Ethernet Adapter (en1) is currently active. Ethernet Adapter (en1) has a self-assigned IP Address and may not be able to connect to the internet.

But that's the only sign of a problem, if it is a problem, aside from the fact it doesn't connect. BTW, I used the same device on a Dell Laptop and it connected flawlessly, so it's not the device itself. It's a USB 2.0 device, but neither laptop has USB 2.0 ports yet it worked on the Dell.

Any ideas on what may be going on with the Powerbook?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I can't seem to remember what I did to resolve this issue when I and my friends had a similar problem. Well first I would try to go to the vendors web site if it is still functional and download the latest release of your 'wifi devices' drivers.

I know there was a quick fix we came up with but I can't seem to remember what exactly we did, but I will get back to you if I remember.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as listed above... does anyone have a solution for it , or do you remember what the quick fix was for it miles?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
No I never did get around to it. I got out the old usb card to try it out and see what I did, only to find that it had been stepped on and the usb plug broken off. I will try to check around though.

Reaction score
Well, it basically just fixed itself.. The key was to shut down the computer, make sure it was snug into the usb port, start it up, and it eventually just worked out? Well it works : ) thanks for the quick replies though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.