Is there supposed to be this much stuff installed on my computer?

Reaction score
I just got a blackbook, and I took a look at the hard drive the other day and there is 32GB of stuff on there! all I installed was adium and siriusmac, and put on 6gb of MP3s. Is there really supposed to be 27gb of other stuff on there? That seems like an AWFUL lot for an operating system, iLife, and the trialware...

Can someone tell me if this is right so I can figure out if I should take it to the applestore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Uh, yeah dude, that's correct, you don't need to return it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Yes, the OS takes up lots of space.

More than XP, although XP has more clutter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i dont know about how much space should be used up but a 30gig formatted drive is smaller than that by a gig or two
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I just got a blackbook, and I took a look at the hard drive the other day and there is 32GB of stuff on there! all I installed was adium and siriusmac, and put on 6gb of MP3s. Is there really supposed to be 27gb of other stuff on there? That seems like an AWFUL lot for an operating system, iLife, and the trialware...

Can someone tell me if this is right so I can figure out if I should take it to the applestore?

This may help to free up space . I deleted unused languages and Reduced the amount of Printer drivers
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60541&highlight=freeing+drive+space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well Garageband and all the loops and sound effects that come with it are like 3GB alone I think. The iDVD themes are another Gig, so you can see how it adds up.

iWork is another Gig due to all the high-res theme material included....
Just chuck the stuff you don't need... you can always reinstall it off the DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I believe the OS itself is about 3GB. iWeb and it's content is about 10GB. With the iDVD themes and GarageBand loops that's another 4GB gone. iTunes and iPhoto aren't that big, but it's still another chunk gone; then there's the trail versions of MS Office (500MB) and iWork (2GB).

That's about 20GB (26GB with your music). That just leaves 6GB "unaccounted" for... but with any other documents, movies, photos, applications you have on there that's not hard to accumulate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That just seems really excessive for a system that comes stock with an 80gb hard drive. Almost half to the OS? that's a whooooole lot of space occupied.

You just said you put 6GB of MP3s on, so that's down to 25GB, and technically iLife isn't part of the OS. Given that it comes with iLife - as posted here that takes some space - it's perfectly normal. For comparison Vista takes around 15Gb once installed, and that doesn't include iLife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Didn't use the link and read the other post, but you can try what-size:

http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/

It'll tell you what is taking up what space on your mac. I got back about
15-18gb from getting rid of garageband, printer drivers, language packs and some fonts and other things. There is a ton of stuff you can get rid of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
How much space does monolingual free up? I dont have the mac os x disc so i dont want to have to worry about the off chance that i delete anything i might need for any reason.

And was I suppose to get the mac os x install discs with my macbook????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yeah. They should have been in the little grey box-ish thing, in the "everything else" pocket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
How much space does monolingual free up? I dont have the mac os x disc so i dont want to have to worry about the off chance that i delete anything i might need for any reason.

And was I suppose to get the mac os x install discs with my macbook????

Depends on how much you remove... I got 1.8 Gig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I'll just wait until I start running out of space before I start deleting things. As long as you have room to do what you need to the amount of free space is largely irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
get rid of the extra languages. theres also a program that deles the ppc codes from universal programs. if you have intel mac these codes are never used so they are just wasting space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
get rid of the extra languages. theres also a program that deles the ppc codes from universal programs. if you have intel mac these codes are never used so they are just wasting space.

They are used if you are running PPC programs on your Intel Mac... for example MS Office for Mac, Adobe CS2, and many others.

Open your Activity monitor, view the "type" list, I'll bet you see quite a few that are PPC on your Intel Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Be careful with some of those language delete programs and READ about them first. I don't know if it was monolingual that I was reading about, but one was really good at hosing OS installs and making the user have to reinstall OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.