Mac Dilemma

Reaction score
After getting a promotion at work last week it means that my Mac purchase might be a lot sooner then I had anticipated, anyway I’m stuck with a few options really so just though I would post them and see which you guys would go with :)

Option 1:

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AirPort Extreme Base Station and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,482.95

Option 2:

13-inch MacBook (Black) - 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel) and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,522.95

Option 3:

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,533.96

Option 4:

iMac, 20-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, Apple wired Mighty Mouse, Apple Keyboard (white) – English, AirPort Extreme Base Station and a Canon Selphy DS810 - £1,356.95

I know there are loads of other options, but out of the ones I’ve listed which would you go for?

The system will be used for Photoshop work, internet browsing, music and other day to day tasks but nothing intense (video editing, gaming etc).

Feel free to chop and change things but im only looking to spend about £1500 on the full system, also i know i have listed some portable systems and some that are not, portability would be nice for my photography but it is not a necessity

/Ste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
If u dont need portability i think the best is a new iMac :D
Got some nice specs and is at ur money range.

Reaction score
Whichever one you do decide to choose, have you considered looking at the refurb section on the apple store website?
Many refurb owners have posted threads on this subject and highlighted it as a fantastic way to purchase a mac, at a considerably lower price.
Sometimes up to 33% off the original price of a MBP.... Doing this may enable you to purchase a 15" MBP AND an additional display for your photography work...

just an idea. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
The reason I didn’t consider refurbished Mac’s is because I might be able to get a friend to get me it all on HE Discount :)

But if not its an idea - what condition are the refurbs normally in because I’ve had refurbished mobile phone handsets in the past and they were nothing but trouble or have exterior damage

Reaction score
Pure speculation...

I'd recommend you focus on balancing the speed you need with the display you want.

More Photoshop means you'll want more speed so the 15" MBP or 24" iMac would be best with the MB being last.

The display is purely subjective. You may like the Apple cinema display better than the iMac screen or the laptop displays.

The iMac is rumored to be upgraded in the next month or two.

These desicions are rarely easy. There's so many variables.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
If you want a laptop I'd say get the MacBook Pro and if you still want a monitor get a Dell one or something as Cinema Displays are alot more expensive than other companies.

Although, if you can wait the Cinema Displays will be upgraded with LCD and possibly an iSight camera, which could justify the price tag.

Your call.

Reaction score
The reason I didn’t consider refurbished Mac’s is because I might be able to get a friend to get me it all on HE Discount :)

But if not its an idea - what condition are the refurbs normally in because I’ve had refurbished mobile phone handsets in the past and they were nothing but trouble or have exterior damage

Nice one if you can get the educational discount... I understand your concerns regarding the refurbs - but having extensively researched previous threads via the search on this feedback is very positive indeed. There will always be exceptions tho as there will be buying new too. As I understand it refurbs go through extremley rigorous testing and Quality Assurances/testing etc before they are ready for resale. They come with exactly the same one year warranty - way I see it is you will get exactly the same product but 33%cheaper - just without the lavish packaging. Anyways that's a whole different topic...

As for your machine choice.... it is very tough, I suggest visiting an apple store or a store which sells them and take a look/have a play with them.
As Opus_az states the iMac's may indeed be very close... but if you need/want a mac now just go for it.

good luck dude.

Reaction score
If your not looking for portability definately get one of the new iMacs, but if you are get a MB and if you want one a Cinema screen. If your going to upgrade your RAM don't do it with apple. Use Crucial RAM...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.