New Here ~ Switching

Reaction score
Hiya all im new here. I am switching to a macbook soon

*2.16GHZ Core 2 Dup

*1 GB Ram

*120 GB Hardrive

*Dual Layer Superdrive

I was just wandering what i should know? Must know facts? Things to help me get started etc..

Also is it worth buying the apple care for £200!!! i can't afford it! Should i realy get it or what, i mean the macbook is already £830.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the same position buying my new MB as soon as leopard comes out!! I'm passing on apple care and just gonna be really carefull with my MB!! Yeah i agree with you: the MB is £830 allready so another £200 is quite alot. Btw why are you purchasing: are you just going into your GCSE years/ Uni/ College???

OP
J
Reaction score
no im not going into my GCSEs yet im in my 2nd year of high school in september. I just love computers and want a mac. So im getting one. But most people my age just sponge off their parents expecting them to get it. But i took up a paperround and i am paying for my mabook monthly on customer finance

Reaction score
Oh righte i'm just going into year 10. It's up to you but do you really need one yet?? Bi the time you realy need it (GCSE's) they would have been upgraded so much which is why i put it off buying one until then...

OP
J
Reaction score
i just really badly want one though

Reaction score
Yes i did aswell but i put off buying one becuz:
1) i wanted to save up and pay all at once so i didnt have to pay monthly and 3years ive saved £1700 so ive got plenty now to buy a MB!!!
2) Wasn't neede in the early years of secendry school
3) I knew they wuld b upgraded they recently have to duble core!!

So yeah but if you want one tht badly then get one!!
But yh on topic i wukdnt bother with apple protection wen uve spent so much on a laptop u shuld b carefull with it neway so nuffing shuld go rong!!

OP
J
Reaction score
yeah i know wot u mean if i spent this much money nothing should go wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Could u guyz plz stop tlkin lik this? I can't understand what you're saying.

To answer the original question, I don't really understand what you're asking. Uh. I wouldn't bother with AppleCare. It would help to know what you're using it for.

If you're going to be doing email, web, word processing and stuff like that then just go ahead and buy it.

If you're going to be using it for more demanding stuff like video editing, some games, Photoshop etc. then you should buy it and get some RAM from Crucial. It's way way way cheaper than Apple's RAM and is just as good. Also upgrading is easy because Apple have cool ways of getting into the RAM without taking the case apart, but that'll be explained in the booklet that comes with your MacBook.

Reaction score
Sorry 4 tlking like this its easier 2 tlk maybe its a british thing: americans rnt cleva enuf 2 wrk out how we tlk ?? jokes lol

Ok sorry i will stop talking like that now and type properly!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry 4 tlking like this its easier 2 tlk maybe its a british thing: americans rnt cleva enuf 2 wrk out how we tlk ?? jokes lol

Ok sorry i will stop talking like that now and type properly!!!

Uh actually I'm British too. Thus the British hyperlink.

Reaction score
Uh actually I'm British too. Thus the British hyperlink.

Lol fair enough!! Well are you a teenager?? Thats how well all text and talk on msn so it sort of becomes the way allways type unless im doing school work!! Ill try nd cut down on the bad writing though!!

Reaction score
JackTheMac....

Lifes too short ... go get a mac, enjoy the experience of using it every day and I doubt you'll regret it.
As for the Apple care... you have 1 year to decide... You get the standard 1 year warranty with your machine - as the end of that year approaches, weigh up the pros and cons of purchasing applecare and take it out if necessary at the end of your standard warranty period.

go get one.. go have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol fair enough!! Well are you a teenager?? Thats how well all text and talk on msn so it sort of becomes the way allways type unless im doing school work!! Ill try nd cut down on the bad writing though!!

I am soon-to-be a teenager :O

Blast! My secret is out! *escapes in rocket*

Well I think this thread is doomed to spam and off topic chat...

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can purchase AppleCare within one year of buying the laptop so you can wait and save up for it. I always get it but that's just me.

Reaction score
But do you really need it!!!???
That's a tough question. It's like insurance. You're betting something bad will happen and so you prepare for it. It's a gamble. Will something break between the first and third of having the laptop? Will AppleCare cover it? I can't answer that.

I'm older and have more savings than you so for me it's affordable and I like knowing it's there. Plus, AppleCare is more than just repairs. There's phone support for wacky troubles, like last weekend when I called and they told me how to reset my PRAM to fix my iMac from being way too slow on bootup.

Sorry, but there's not one answer to give you. I wish there was.

Do you feel lucky? Will you BE lucky?

PS...it's awesome you're buying it yourself. Congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
will people please stop txt talking on this forum. im a teenager im 17 and i only txt that way when im online i type properly i may not spell things right but at-least its proper words.

and back on topic:

i have insurance for my macbook pro. first mac, first laptop. i got it through PC world buisness so i get a new one if it cant be fixed within 28days and i get a loan one while mine is away next day call out to my house only £15 a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Hahah, I agree. I dislike it when people my age (or a little younger) type in that manner.

Reaction score
That's a tough question. It's like insurance. You're betting something bad will happen and so you prepare for it. It's a gamble. Will something break between the first and third of having the laptop? Will AppleCare cover it? I can't answer that.

I'm older and have more savings than you so for me it's affordable and I like knowing it's there. Plus, AppleCare is more than just repairs. There's phone support for wacky troubles, like last weekend when I called and they told me how to reset my PRAM to fix my iMac from being way too slow on bootup.

Sorry, but there's not one answer to give you. I wish there was.

Do you feel lucky? Will you BE lucky?

PS...it's awesome you're buying it yourself. Congrats!

Firstly i think i'll decided after my standard 1 year warranty is up. Also i had no choice but buy it myself!! My pasrents said if i want it i buy it (but they are giving me £100 towards it so i can have it as part of my b/day :D)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.