How do you watch a DVD?

Reaction score
Bit of a dumb question but my wife wanted to watch a movie on our new MacBook Pro. Is there a program on the Mac to watch it or do I have to buy something?

MacBook Pro 2.2 - works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano
I'm not 100% sure about a MBP but my PB came with Mac's DVD player. Just pop the DVD in and let it go.
DVD.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
Yes, the MBP comes with dvd player.

OP
M
Reaction score
That worked.

Thanks.

How do you skip ahead or move back while the movie is playing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You can use the remote included with your MBP. Hit the forward or back button quickly to skip to the next scene, or hold down to fast-forward. One of the drawbacks of DVD Player is you can't choose the fast-forward/rewind speed.

You can also play/pause and turn the volume up and down, of course. The remote also works with iTunes. One neat trick I just recently learned is that you can use the remote to put the computer to sleep by holding down on the play/pause button for 5 seconds.

OP
M
Reaction score
I forgot about the remote. I left it in the box. I usually watch DVDs on my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a nifty little add on. I honestly wish it was less simplistic and had a little more functionality though. Simple is nice, but I've never overwhelmed with anything having more than 5 buttons, and I don't think anyone else older than 5 is either.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's a nifty little add on. I honestly wish it was less simplistic and had a little more functionality though. Simple is nice, but I've never overwhelmed with anything having more than 5 buttons, and I don't think anyone else older than 5 is either.

I wonder if you can use the iPhone as an MPB remote. That would be cute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
to move the dvd on etc.. (all the controls) move the mouse and you will see a grey control panel with all the controls. or use the remote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if you can use the iPhone as an MPB remote. That would be cute.

I heard there's a way to do that with the iPhone! That thing does it all, except make my morning coffee.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.