Is there a firewire patch...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook 15", iBook 13" and iMac DV (and it's purple...)
I have a relatively new 17" MacBook Pro and it appears that the Firewire port is not working. I didn't discover this until I was trying to render some video from my video camera. I have tried connecting an external drive and still no go. I know that the items work as I am able to connect them to my G4 Powerbook and they function properly.

Is there somewhere in the os that this port might be turned off? Or do I need to send it back to Apple?

Thanks,

James

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook 15", iBook 13" and iMac DV (and it's purple...)
Solution

Well since nobody was forthcoming with any help, I took the laptop to the Apple store. That was on Monday. I had to make an appointment to see a "Genius", That was this morning (Thursday). They didn't seem too concerned with my time, I got there promptly at 10am which is when my appointment was scheduled. One person at the counter busy with some guy who dropped his iPhone. I sat there for almost ten minutes until another guy came out to help me. Typical IT person, rude, didn't say much, just asked what the problem was and started typing away without telling me what he was doing. I asked him if he could tell me what he was doing as he was doing it, not that unusual of a request. He did for about two minutes, then went back to typing and not talking. When I made a comment referring to the IT guy at the institution where I work he said, "I'm smarter than he is." It took him about 15 minutes of trying different things to come to the same conclusion that the IT guy who he was supposedly smarter than. The firewire board was bad and needed to be replaced.

I'm happy to say that even though they quoted me that it would take about 3 to 5 days to be fixed, I will be picking it up this evening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
thats a rude genius, all the ones who work at the store near me are really nice.. it is nice to know though that you got your computer fixed and everything will be working properly from now on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.