iBook G4 screen turns blue, green, red, etc

Reaction score
The last day or two, my computer has been running ok, then all of a sudden, the screen turns white, then red, blue, green, etc. I have to shut it down, take the battery out and hold the power button for 5 seconds before I can turn it on again. It's done this about 5 times in the last 16 hours. I've never seen it happen before.

It's an iBook G4 that's a little over two years old.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, efs120.

Sounds like your video card might be starting to have some problems.

Can you pop in your optical drive your restore CD (DVD?) that has Apple's Hardware Test on it? Restart, holding down the C key and when prompted, ask for the Extended Test.

Report back your findings. Good luck!

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks MacHeadCase. I did the extended test and everything passed, no hardware problems.

Also, the computer shuts down at times with the slightest bump. Even putting it on my lap turned it off. It did that awhile back, but then the problem went away. It's back. Finally, sometimes when I turn the computer on, it wheezes like it's starting to read a DVD and nothing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Mine did the same thing. There is a fix site that says to put a shim in between the casing and one of the boards inside....it didnt work for mine....it is most likely a connection for your screen or the logic board.

i put mine on ebay and bought a new macbook.

OP
E
Reaction score
It wasn't turning on today, but my room has the highest temperature in the house. I fixed a screen that cools the room down and it's started to work again. Could the room temperature have had something to do with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It wasn't turning on today, but my room has the highest temperature in the house. I fixed a screen that cools the room down and it's started to work again. Could the room temperature have had something to do with it?

Quite possible, particularly if you have the problem sleepy_monkey describes - a dodgy connection.

Reaction score
macbook screen red green blue!!!

My computer is doing the same thing....out of nowhere. 2 years old, was working just fine until yesterday. It was asleep and when I opened it up again, it started the grey, red, green, then blue screen display. After I turned if off andtried to restart, it just continued to give me the grey, red, green then blue screen display along with a very loud and constant fan motor running. I've tried taking out the battery, holding down the start button for 10 seconds....nothing.

Any other suggestions I can try before I have to bring it in to the Apple store?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.