Numbers now at the bottom?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Here is some background... I keep my music on my Windows PC, but burn dvd's and Cd's on my Laptop. Anyway the other day I used senuti to get the new Brad Paisley CD off my iPod so I could burn my parents a copy. Ever since then, my music has been arranged differently. Instead of the Brad Paisley CD called 5th Gear being at the top or the CD's its now at the bottom of the Paisley CD's. Allong is the same with +44, 2pac, 311, etc... the "numbered" artists are at the bottom of the artist list. Is this new or what, if so, is there a way to change it becuase I hate it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that number thing was in the new update, i dont really like it either
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
80GB 6G iPod Classic, 15" 1GHZ Powerbook G4 1GB RAM 60GB HDD
Oh okay, I was wondering about that too.
And woo hoo! +44 ! Huge fan right here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is this new or what, if so, is there a way to change it becuase I hate it...

I find this really funny. If you have spent any time on iPod/iTunes forums, folks have been complaining about numbers being on top for years. Now they are going to complain about them being on the bottom.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah, numbers at the bottom happened with this latest iTunes update that supports the iPhone. It bugged me at first but I have sort of gotten used to it.

If you click say Artist a 2nd time, it reverses everything and puts what is at the bottom of the list on the top. Still looks backwards! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea but if you reverse it you got +44 first and then zztop next

i have always liked numbers before A
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yea but if you reverse it you got +44 first and then zztop next

i have always liked numbers before A
-chris

That is why I said it still looks backwards. Z at least to my way of thinking should be at the bottom or last. So either way it's wrong now to me at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think you can customize the sorting a bit by changing the "sort name" field...

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
I think you can customize the sorting a bit by changing the "sort name" field...

so what are you saying? I have looked at the sort name thing at the bottom (when you right click and bring up the menu) and I dont really understand what it does or means...? Like apply sort field, same album, artist??? what is that, or am I looking at the completely wrong thing...

I find this really funny. If you have spent any time on iPod/iTunes forums, folks have been complaining about numbers being on top for years. Now they are going to complain about them being on the bottom.

I have never really spent time on any music/ipod/itunes forums until here so I didnt know that and am definetely not one of the people who complained about them being on top. Either way I think there should be an option, I dont really like them at the bottom...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never really spent time on any music/ipod/itunes forums until here so I didnt know that and am definetely not one of the people who complained about them being on top. Either way I think there should be an option, I dont really like them at the bottom...

Well as I mentioned, there is an option:

If you enter a "sort artist", then iTunes will use whatever you enter there as the sorting criteria.

So in this example, the Magic numbers will appear at the top of my list, along with the other "A" artists.

itunessorting-20070726-170503.png

Reaction score
Well as I mentioned, there is an option:

If you enter a "sort artist", then iTunes will use whatever you enter there as the sorting criteria.

So in this example, the Magic numbers will appear at the top of my list, along with the other "A" artists.

itunessorting-20070726-170503.png

Yes but this takes ages you should able to choose with one click wether numbers are at top or bottom, come on apple honestly!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, well that's often Apple's way of doing things...

Instead of offering you a million different way of doing things, they sometimes pick one for you to keep things uncluttered.

I'm sure there's an Applescript on Doug's page that can help you automate this though...

Edit: Just found one:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=batchsettrackssorting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.