transfer my $5000 software from powerbook to macbook

Reaction score
I have about $5000 software on my powerbook g4. I love this baby, and it has been through a lot with me. But it's getting clogged and i would like to start fresh on a mabook.

is there any way I can save the $5000 worth of software i've accumulated on this powerbook? that's such a waste... I don't even need to keep it all, but I would like to have the basics at least (photoshop, word, soho notes, mail, etc..)..

on a flash drive maybe?
can i reload them and enter the license key? what if i don't have the boxes which i bought everything in.. how would i find the licensing keys, etc.?

is there ANY way? even if it's not totally legit?

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67Mhz Hi Res - 2gig RAM, 100g 7200 HD + Pismo G3 400Mhz - 512mb RAM, 30g HD
Can't you just use the Migration Assistant to transfer everything?

F

Fallooza

well you do have all your original discs right? seems you may not be totally legit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The Migration Assistant won't do that.

Fallooza is roit.

OP
B
Reaction score
Nope, don't have any of the discs.

Will Migration Assistant do this? Then will it be on the old AND new computer? Is that illiegal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
well you do have all your original discs right? seems you may not be totally legit.

Nope, don't have any of the discs.
Man, if I spent that much on software (and I have come close to that) I would make certain that those discs were locked up in a air-tight vault! :)
You might be able to get replacement discs if you contact the software manufacturers. You have the keys/serials for them, so it might not be a big issue for them, but you might have to pay a small replacement fee (probably no more than a few $ per disc). That would be a much better option IMO.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well actually, I bought this powerbook used from a professional artist.. so I didn't pay $5,000, but I did still pay for it.

So, migration assistant won't transfer applications?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well actually, I bought this powerbook used from a professional artist.. so I didn't pay $5,000, but I did still pay for it.
..then to answer your other question:
Nope, don't have any of the discs. ... Then will it be on the old AND new computer? Is that illiegal?
Yes, it is illegal. If someone sold you a computer pre-loaded with ~$5000 worth of software and didn't include the discs in the sale, then that is illegal. It would also be illegal to then transfer that software to yet another computer, even if you didn't keep it on the computer you transferred it from.
You more or less paid for pirated goods. I would wager that the "professional artist" kept the software discs and then used them to install all of it to yet another machine. That would be fine if he owned all of the computers with the software on them and kept the discs, but as soon as he sold one, then he no longer owns that machine and legally the software can't stay on it.

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, what if I transfered the software, but then deleted it from my powerbook? How would I do that?

M

MacHeadCase

I think you don't understand what we are trying to say here: no matter which one of your computers the software stays on, it is illegal for you to have the programs.

The guy that bought the software should have deleted the software from the PowerBook he sold you.

OR, if he sold the PowerBook WITH the software (IF the software was included in the price of the PowerBook), he should have GIVEN YOU the software install disks with the licence codes: that is the only way it would be legal for you to have these programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OK, what if I transfered the software, but then deleted it from my powerbook? How would I do that?

In theory, copying the entire contents of your application folder and /user/library and /library should mean some of the apps will work. However, the only real way to do this is to get the original install discs (or replacements from the publisher) and ensure you have your user codes.

Note that not all of your software will work though, because some PPC apps won't work under Rosetta (although many will).

Reaction score
..then to answer your other question:Yes, it is illegal. If someone sold you a computer pre-loaded with ~$5000 worth of software and didn't include the discs in the sale, then that is illegal. It would also be illegal to then transfer that software to yet another computer, even if you didn't keep it on the computer you transferred it from.
You more or less paid for pirated goods. I would wager that the "professional artist" kept the software discs and then used them to install all of it to yet another machine. That would be fine if he owned all of the computers with the software on them and kept the discs, but as soon as he sold one, then he no longer owns that machine and legally the software can't stay on it.

Either that or he Downloaded cracked versions from the net/torrents and installed them to get more money from you. If you have any contact with him and he is a close friend I would confront him about it if I was you.

You're the one that can get in trouble for this if you don't get it sorted out.
(Theres probably not a great chance... but you never know)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.