i'm pretty new to this whole mac thing

Reaction score
what are some cool things i can do w/ it. i know about widgets, but thats it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
That's a pretty vague question, but you can pretty much do anything you can on any oter computer. The big seller on the Mac though is the way the applications are integtrated and things just 'work', like dragging pictures from iPhoto to iCal and still retaining the cropping and zoom tools you get in the former.

Being able to drag a picture from a web-browser onto the desktop, without right-click, save as, etc. Expose is great, F10 just isolates all windows for your current app, F9 shows all open windows and F11 moves everything to the side - I miss it at work when working with loads of apps.

OP
S
Reaction score
i'm talking more stuff like cool widgets that let you text, or using the voice command thing to make your computer do stuff
maybe i'm on a wild goose chase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
i'm talking more stuff like cool widgets that let you text, or using the voice command thing to make your computer do stuff
maybe i'm on a wild goose chase

Yes you can do all those 'cool' things. No one is going to write a list of the 371 million cool things you can do with a Mac - but take a look here to see what the latest funky stuff is.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Erm... have you told it to tell you a joke yet?

Question really is too vague.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD
One thing I find pretty neat is Bootcamp. You can install that program and it can partition your hard drive up to 16 times to install other operating systems on and when you boot up, you can choose which one to start up on. And you can get a program called Parallels that lets you run multiple Operating Systems simultaneously. I hold down "W" and the screen shrinks to a tiny cube and rotates and comes up in Windows XP. That was a very nifty plus for me...

Also, Macs are renowned for their media skills. If your computer is anything like mine it came with some neat editing programs for video and picture. Also, you can share software a whole lot easier than you can with a Windows. I got probably $400 worth of Software free, and legally, from my boss because Mac's don't require a bajillion different codes and registration numbers and activation requirements. There are a few exceptions to consider, however. But, that's another nifty doo-dad.

OP
S
Reaction score
One thing I find pretty neat is Bootcamp. You can install that program and it can partition your hard drive up to 16 times to install other operating systems on and when you boot up, you can choose which one to start up on. And you can get a program called Parallels that lets you run multiple Operating Systems simultaneously. I hold down "W" and the screen shrinks to a tiny cube and rotates and comes up in Windows XP. That was a very nifty plus for me...

Also, Macs are renowned for their media skills. If your computer is anything like mine it came with some neat editing programs for video and picture. Also, you can share software a whole lot easier than you can with a Windows. I got probably $400 worth of Software free, and legally, from my boss because Mac's don't require a bajillion different codes and registration numbers and activation requirements. There are a few exceptions to consider, however. But, that's another nifty doo-dad.

thanks. thats more the type of stuff i'm looking for. what do you do on you're mac when you're bored, lets put it that way. and bored doesn't count as horny.. fyi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD
lol

I have an iMac with iSight so I spend a lot of time taking idiot pictures and then fiddling with them in Photoshop CS. Also I tinker around with Comic Life, which once you get the hang of it, is a lot of fun. It's basic and for tip of the ice berg comic creations but I still have a lot of fun with it. I also play Halo and Diablo II when I get a chance to dedicate a couple hours to gaming.

Reaction score
stophe: I don't think it makes sense going hunting for Mac benefits. Based on your computing needs, we can help you decide if a Mac is for you.

The "cool" things you speak about are accesibility functions for disabled people, and they really aren't so cool that you will end up using them all the time to control your computer. I don't think any of the people here in fine health actually use it.

I suggest you watch some keynotes of Steve Jobs and check out the link above.

Other than that, even Windows has some "cool" things (depends on definition). So you have to be a bit more precise.

When I'm bored, I surf the internet, but that's what you can do on any computer. I personally never feel "really" bored, I always have some work pending.

I read a lot of blogs. But the operating system is just a medium, not a game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
The first thing I am going to do when I get my MBP is record a VidCast, Take pictures, and sit on my bed (never had a laptop before) and watch a movie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.