x86 Mac - Thoughts/ Legality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
First off, I remember my cousin successfully getting it to work on a Celeron PC a few months ago but remember something about it being illegal. Is this true?
I guess that's the first thing to ask before I get started. (I researched the forums here and came up empty handed and Google as well without much help.)
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It's against the EULA and therefore completely illegal.

M

MacHeadCase

I know it is against Apple's EULA:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code and other Apple firmware that is embedded or otherwise contained in Apple-labeled hardware) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Apple Boot ROM code and firmware is provided only for use on Apple-labeled hardware and you may not copy, modify or redistribute the Apple Boot ROM code or firmware, or any portions thereof.

Edited to add:

This is my day of DOH!s... knightlie beat me to it!

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boo. What does EULA mean? Just curious...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
End User... D'oh! :p

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just trying to find a way to run OSX on a desktop tower Mac without spending $2200 on a Mac Pro.
$600 is my limit and a G4 is way too weak for the price. I could totally build a screaming C2D 2.16GHz PC for that price though but don't want to use XP.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I am just trying to find a way to run OSX on a desktop tower Mac without spending $2200 on a Mac Pro.
$600 is my limit and a G4 is way too weak for the price. I could totally build a screaming C2D 2.16GHz PC for that price though but don't want to use XP.
Bryan

Then you're limited to Vista, or a free, open source OS (there are plenty).

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then you're limited to Vista, or a free, open source OS (there are plenty).

Say NO to Windows!
I use things like Photoshop and other apps which aren't supported by Linux so OSX is the best option for me.
Thanks though.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, bear in mind things like GIMP will/should be available for Linux. GIMP is a pretty good app. And your profile says a Core Duo iMac - I'd be surprised if you're doing anything that will push that far beyond it's limits.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know exactly what you're going through, because I'm in the same boat. I want a tower-based (i.e. expandable) replacement for my desktop PC. I really don't want an iMac, but I don't want to spend a minimum of $2000 for a Mac Pro.

Let's hope that Apple eventually addresses this need, because I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. A perfect replacement for the Mac mini would be a mid-level PC tower that uses fairly standardized components (hence, lower costs to assemble and procure parts) and is capable of running OS X. It would be the perfect way to compete with Dell & HP on the desktop front, while leaving the iMac to those who care more for the styling than they do about the functionality, and the Mac Pro to the upper echelon (think "workstation" performance needs).

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, bear in mind things like GIMP will/should be available for Linux. GIMP is a pretty good app. And your profile says a Core Duo iMac - I'd be surprised if you're doing anything that will push that far beyond it's limits.

The DL portion of the DVD burner is quite slow. It takes 30-40mins to burn a DVD. It only burns DL at 2.4x or something. The PC I sold for a Mac had a 8x DL burner. Otherwise, I miss the lack of expandability of the iMac.

In a few years, the iMac might not do what I want it to do anymore. Right now the solution is to sell this and buy a new one. I don't want to replace a whole computer if a few small issues with it.

I know exactly what you're going through, because I'm in the same boat. I want a tower-based (i.e. expandable) replacement for my desktop PC. I really don't want an iMac, but I don't want to spend a minimum of $2000 for a Mac Pro.

Let's hope that Apple eventually addresses this need, because I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. A perfect replacement for the Mac mini would be a mid-level PC tower that uses fairly standardized components (hence, lower costs to assemble and procure parts) and is capable of running OS X. It would be the perfect way to compete with Dell & HP on the desktop front, while leaving the iMac to those who care more for the styling than they do about the functionality, and the Mac Pro to the upper echelon (think "workstation" performance needs).

That's what I am hoping. I saw some fake blog for a Mac Pro Mini. I would like something I could expand on. If I want a new vid card, I can drop one in. If a 250GB HD is too small, I can drop one in easily. I'd like to drop in a nice audio card to but I can't on my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Even if grey box Macs this discussion wasn't against forum rules, I can't imagine you'd have much joy running OS X on unsupported hardware.

Every time there's a system update something breaks, certain features aren't supported and you can bet that 10.5. will up the protection a bit as well!

Anyway, please check the rules - Apple isn't keen on these types of discussions - thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.