How to Block a Sender (email)?

Reaction score
IS there any way to block incomping messages from a particular email address? I use the stock Mail app that came on my Intel iMac, and my email is a .mac.com address.

My ISP is AT&T. I called them, but the help line just showed me how to block email for my AT&T email address (it's actually an sbcglobal.net address). But I use my .mac address for everything, and my "incoming mail server" is a .mac server. Apparently this bypasses the block we put on the sbcglobal address.

I would like to block emails from one particular email address--one particular sender. I know that using "Preferences" I can route the incoming messages directly to the trash, but that's not good enough--I need to send a message to this person that his messages are being blocked and not getting through to me.

I'd be very grateful for any help. I'm being persecuted by a really evil person, who tries every trick to make sure his emails are getting through.

If you can help...please!

MJ

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, txind76.

As email client, do you use Mac OS X's Mail. app? You could set up rules in your Mail.app preferences to bounce the emails from this person.

Edited to add:

You should also report this person to their own ISP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
MHC is right on both counts, if you're being harassed then contact their ISP. If the situation is bad enough then it may also pay to just start using a different email address such as a Google Mail or Yahoo one.

OP
T
Reaction score
Solution found

I've solved my own problem with the help of one of my blog readers. I downloaded an Applescript from Bouncemail (http://scriptbuilders.net/files/bouncemail1.0.html). Then I opened a new Rule in Mail>Preferences>Rules, entered the offending email address under "From," and then set "run Applescript." I then added a delete command as a second rule. We tested it from three different email addresses and it automatically bounced and deleted the incoming messages. Seems to work great.

So, that solves that. Hope this might be of help to somebody else.

MJ

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks for reporting back the solution.

But you still should report the offender to his/her ISP. Sometimes, things can escalate: they start off with email/cyberspace stalking and then move on to bigger, more serious crimes in real life. You just might save someone else's life or at least prevent a lot of grief and pain in the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Personally I use my own domain to forward mail to my GMail account. If you're not really bothered about your @mac.com address I recommend it.

It offers an easy web interface to block mail from certain addresses (or whole domains) in the future, offers another spam filter layer (with spam filters on all mail going to my address, then in GMail to catch to ones that get through and finally Mail.app's Junk box I get no spam at all in my inbox :) and my address was picked up by a bot, so I'm sent loads), plus you can say "just send it to myname.co.uk" instead of having to write down a unique username.

Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums, txind76.

As email client, do you use Mac OS X's Mail. app? You could set up rules in your Mail.app preferences to bounce the emails from this person.

How do you set up a rule to bounce a message without a special script?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.