• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Interview - what to wear?

Reaction score
hi all,

After much time I am back in the jobseekers position. I have an interview tomorrow with an agency, now as I haven't been to an interview in ages, thought I'd ask on here re: dress code.

My friends all work for corporate companies, and as studio's/design related jobs are much more relaxed, I was just wondering what the norm was?

Would the same dress code apply if I were going to an interview with the actual company (not the agency)?

If anyones got any views, please do tell - I'm gonna have to raid my wardrobe and find something reasonable to wear!!!:eek:

Reaction score
When you say "agency" do you mean a head hunter or a design company? Wait, I get it now, I think, go casual/sharp with the agency. Then do a drive by on the company, hang out near the front door, take a look who is walking in. I was recently at a company where the entire design crew was in shirt and ties, the women in dresses. I am much more used to seeing Phish tee shirts and sandals...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White
I don't work in design but I used to work for a major telecomms company R&D department and they were all casually dressed.

Anyway... Regardless of job type, I'd always wear smart clothes for the interview stages. Nice shirt & tie, smart trousers and polished shoes. Or a suit.

My dad hires / fires a lot of people and he says to never underestimate the little things. Interviewers are often on the lookout for things and will take notice of unpolished shoes, unshaven faces and notes like 'interview 3pm' scribbled on you hand.

Wear smart for agency and potential employers, you never know what info the agency will pass on.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
Just remember the interviews knows if he likes you within the first 5 seconds so say hello and your name shake a hand and go from there... oh and dont forget a nice to meet you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Dress very nice. Slack, shirt, probably a tie... even if the actual job allows for Flip-Flops and baseball caps... for the interview DRESS VERY NICE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Just wear professional attire and you can't go wrong. I was a hotel manager for some time and hired quite a few people. Even though we wore khakis and polo shirts, I expected people interviewing to come in with button-up shirts and ties at least. Some people didn't, and those interviews didn't last long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Dress very nice. Slack, shirt, probably a tie... even if the actual job allows for Flip-Flops and baseball caps... for the interview DRESS VERY NICE.

Exactly!

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry I meant a recuitment agency. Obv if its a proper company interview, I'll dress smartish.

altho I do remember a while back an agency telling one of my colleagues to dress 'funky' whatever that means! I suppose to give off your creative vibe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Hahaha,

I have both sides of my lip pierced. It's a good idea to take jewelry out, or wear retainers. But I usually take it out because some times retainers can be seen "sparkling" under florescent lights.

I have an interview at an IT firm Friday, I'm wearing nice slacks, like dockers, with an button up collar shirt, normal dressy looking shirt, tie, and a suit jacket. You want to look as professional as possible.

I hate it, because I'm really laid back, and I'm a quiet person, so it makes me look very nervous and on edge. I think you should be good though. Just look nice and speak well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Look the part.
If someone is looking to hire a professional... you should look...

But, you can never be too dressed up. At least, that's what I've been told.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If it's a design job at an agency, you'll look a real idiot if you're overdressed! In general, you can never be overdressed, it's true... except for a design job.

They want to know if you'll fit in and if you're overdressed then they'll think you don't actually know what kind of company they are and have only ever worked for stuffy corporate companies in the past.

Wear nice trousers (not from a suit), a long sleeved shirt with no tie and shoes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Agreed. You generally want to dress in the manner that those who are interviewing you do. To casual and you look like a slob, to dressy and you make them look like slobs. Contrary to what has been said, after 20+ years in the business world, you can be overdressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.