External Monitor on MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
If I want dual display on a macbook pro can I just attatch a regular monitor cable to the monitor out on the Macbook pro, or do I need a mac monitor / alternative cable for it to work?

Reaction score
Any monitor will work, either a DVI or VGA. Your MacBook Pro has a DVI port on the right side. http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/images/design_topright20061024.jpg

I recommend a DVI monitor, you'll get higher quality. If you want a VGA monitor, maybe because it's cheaper or that's all you have, you'll need a DVI-to-VGA adapter which are inexpensive and easy to find. You may want to check what resolutions your laptop can handle on external monitors, but I know the specs are pretty impressive. I'm running a 22" ViewSonic widescreen at 1680 by 1050.

Once attached, the F7 key will toggle between monitor views. Plus you can use the external monitor with your laptop's lid closed. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562

For what it's worth, I prefer a widescreen monitor since it matches, more or less, the proportions of the laptop display, so it's more comfortable for me. Plus it's less likely to rearrange desktop icons to fit the screen. My two cents. Of course the choice is up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
you should have gotten a DVI to VGA adapter with your macbook pro . i did with mine. i use my little tv as a moniter its only a 17" one tho. but i do have a 42" one in the living room i plug my MBP into to watch movies sometimes.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I have not bought one yet, just wanting to know before I buy one. Thanks guys!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.