ordering prints iphoto modified folder problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Hi all,

I want to order prints online from my iphoto picts. But with the dup's in the modified folder and originals it's impossible. Can it be done without having to go thru every single pict and writing down all the files names, etc? Or should i abandon iphoto and get one of the other photo apps?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
When I have ordered prints from iPhoto I do it by selecting the prints I want from the order pane it will tell you which ones aren't too hot resolution wise.

Is this what you mean ?

Picture 3.jpg

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Kilted1. How are you?

I don't thimk resolution is my issue. Most of the sites I order photos from are drag n' drop. But I now have originals in one folders and all the modified ones (I fixed red eye, etc.) in another folder. To order without getting the unfixed originals will be a pain. I'd have to write down the file name of the modified ones, and then go thru my originals and make sure I don't order an unfixed originals. Does that make sense? This is a large batch of picts is from a big anniversary party, all the same date. It would really be a pain. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I'm not to bad at the mo' thanks.

I presume that you have some un fixed originals you want to order with the fixed ones.Can't you just make a mixed album in iPhoto and use that or is that a no go

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could do that, but doesn't that mean that I would be duplicating any photos I want prints of? They are already in an album aren't they? Maybe I just need to figure out a different way to see them in Finder so I can drag them as are. Like how do I see last roll in Finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Making an album in iPhoto is the same as playlists in iTunes
you can make a folder of the pictures you want to order . Then delete it again after you have your prints in hand .The folder only contains an alias of each picture. So if you delete an album the pictures it contains don't dissapear from your library. Does that help ?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I think that will do it! Thanks again! :)

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that still didn't seem to solve the problem. B/c in Finder, I can't see the albums, so I can't drag or select the picts I want to order. *sigh* This has to be simple! Why can't I figure this out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just wondering why you are doing this from Finder and not within iPhoto ?
I wish I had more ideas..sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
STAY OUT OF THE FINDER! You are courting disaster! Within iPhoto app, choose which photos you want to print, use the export function to export them to a folder on your desktop, and order your prints using that folder. Mucking about in the finder will create more havoc than you can possibly imagine. Just forget it is there, and do whatever function you want to do from within the app. Ordering photos this way is the best way to go -- you get the modified versions of whatever you have modified, and don't have to be bothered looking in modified and original. You know you have the most up-to-date photo.

I can't stress enough -- stay out of the finder! Do yourself and your photos that favor.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just wondering why you are doing this from Finder and not within iPhoto ?
I wish I had more ideas..sorry

I don't know how to select the photos from iphoto once I'm in the order form from an online site.

STAY OUT OF THE FINDER! You are courting disaster! Within iPhoto app, choose which photos you want to print, use the export function to export them to a folder on your desktop, and order your prints using that folder. Mucking about in the finder will create more havoc than you can possibly imagine. Just forget it is there, and do whatever function you want to do from within the app. Ordering photos this way is the best way to go -- you get the modified versions of whatever you have modified, and don't have to be bothered looking in modified and original. You know you have the most up-to-date photo.

I can't stress enough -- stay out of the finder! Do yourself and your photos that favor.

(skybolt - you're funny!) Oh, export. I didn't know that was how to do it. Not too obvious. I'll try that now...OK, that seemed to do the trick. Why does iphoto only let you order from Kodak when you go to share? That's kinda BS. :(

I think I'm all set now. Whew. I didn't expect that to be such a pain! LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I am dead serious about staying out of the finder!

As far as only ordering from Kodak, I don't believe that is correct, either. I order prints from Costco using the method I described above, so believe that you can do it for any photofinisher. You may have to have your photos individually on the desktop, rather than in a folder, but you should be able to order from whomever you want. Just export your photos, then enter the site you want to order from, and go from there.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I am dead serious about staying out of the finder!

As far as only ordering from Kodak, I don't believe that is correct, either. I order prints from Costco using the method I described above, so believe that you can do it for any photofinisher. You may have to have your photos individually on the desktop, rather than in a folder, but you should be able to order from whomever you want. Just export your photos, then enter the site you want to order from, and go from there.

Trust me, I could tell you were serious. Your wording made me laugh, though. I can't figure out how to select a different provider (than Kodak), but I'm sure there is an easy way. In the meantime, I exported the album to my desktop (creating a new folder) and have uploaded it to the online photo processing company of my choice. I couldn't possibly do them one a at time, I have too many, it would take too long and drive me nuts! :) Thanks for sticking with me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you got it sorted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, glad you got it sorted out! iPhoto is really easy to use, just don't try to use it the Windows way -- don't make it hard on yourself. Relax and let the app take care of itself!

Welcome to the EASY world of macs! :)

Mary

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, glad you got it sorted out! iPhoto is really easy to use, just don't try to use it the Windows way -- don't make it hard on yourself. Relax and let the app take care of itself!

Welcome to the EASY world of macs! :)

Mary

I've been in the easy world of macs for 7+ months now. And this is definitely not one of the easy parts. Exporting photos to a folder on my desktop just so I can order online is not obvious nor intuitive. And iphotos help menu is totally lacking any help on how to do this. Unless I want to order from kodak. :eek: Now if you can tell me how to switch iphoto from the default Kodak, that would be great! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.