ibook and reformatting???

W

wilkie610

im a new mac user and am getting a used ibook 600, i was wondering if it would be wise of me to reformat and reinstall panther. i dont know what the other guy used the computer for and whats on it. is it an easy process to reformat?

thanks in advance

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes it is recommend and yes it is an easy process.

Put in the panther cd. (close out the box that pops up or something like it)
Restart the iBook
Hold down the C key as it is restarting. This will boot the CD
When you get to the drive selection screen selection Install Options and choose erase and install.....boom your set

OP
B

bacteriologist

Remember not to format as UNIX. And also it is best to format and reinstall rather than updating since, it avoids most of the future problems. Remember also to make a bootable CD, even if you got a Hardware diagnostic tool which is of not much use.
Good luck!

OP
W

wilkie610

bacteriologist said:
Remember not to format as UNIX. And also it is best to format and reinstall rather than updating since, it avoids most of the future problems. Remember also to make a bootable CD, even if you got a Hardware diagnostic tool which is of not much use.
Good luck!

well i got it today and there was a fresh panther install so i didnt have to do it, thanks for everything

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.