Make it more random?

Reaction score
I' ve heard all the arguments about the science of randomness. But it still doesnt fit with me.

I took a load of songs away on holiday, six people picked two albums each. I put them all in a playlist and pressed play over the week. Only 310 of the 600 songs were heard, 120 of the tracks were played more than once! 30 songs were played three times!
My friends were not impressed, obviously wanting to hear tracks from their album choices. One album never had one track played at all.
How can i make the iPod more random? I feel the 'random slider' does diddley squat! Has anyone noticed a difference with that?

I also make smart playlist from smart playlists and iTunes grabs several songs from one particular album but ignores other whole albums.

Is there any way one can make it more random by using 'Party Shuffle' as a filter? I assume the fact that it is a 'shuffle' means at least the songs wont be repeated.

Anyone any good ideas or smart playlists to make iTunes/iPod more randon?

Many thanks,
Tc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well on my video ipod you can sselect a thing called shuffle songs. And that'll play all of ther songs on your ipod in a random order. Each song pnly played once. And if you only have on your ipod the songs you want to hear. That should fix that problem.

OP
TangoCharlie
Reaction score
Thanks. Its a shame you cant apply that 'shuffle' to individual playlists!

I was on holiday, I had one playlist for the gang (36 albums), one playlist of Spanish Music, one of my favourites and one of nightime ballads! To have them all shuffled would have been wrong!

We would play the Spanish music at breakfast, and when we partied it would be the favourite albums I added (as mentioned).

Tc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Thanks. Its a shame you cant apply that 'shuffle' to individual playlists!

I was on holiday, I had one playlist for the gang (36 albums), one playlist of Spanish Music, one of my favourites and one of nightime ballads! To have them all shuffled would have been wrong!

We would play the Spanish music at breakfast, and when we partied it would be the favourite albums I added (as mentioned).

Tc

Dont quote me one this 100%, but I thought if you shuffled the playlist in iTunes and put it onto your iPod then it would stay in the shuffled order as it was in iTunes. The only problem with this would be that if you listened to the playlist more than once, it would play in the same order as the first time, which may or may not be a problem...

OP
TangoCharlie
Reaction score
Dont quote me one this 100%, but I thought if you shuffled the playlist in iTunes and put it onto your iPod then it would stay in the shuffled order as it was in iTunes. The only problem with this would be that if you listened to the playlist more than once, it would play in the same order as the first time, which may or may not be a problem...

Thats a good idea..you would, i guess randomize the playlist via party shuffle and copy that over?

Tc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Thats a good idea..you would, i guess randomize the playlist via party shuffle and copy that over?

Tc

not even party shuffle, just use the shuffle songs button at the bottom left... like I have done in the attached photo

picture3hr0.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.