• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Newbie Desparately Needs Ripping, Compressing, Burning Help!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to the boards and am looking for some help with how to rip, compress, and burn movies. I've found some tutorials online but they all seem focused on putting movies on an iPod.

I've already ripped my movie using Mac The Ripper. Next I tried using Handbrake to compress it but I'm not sure what settings to use to make it fit on a normal DVD-R? Like I said, I can only find settings for putting it on an iPod.

I also have Toast 6 but have had challenges burning my files using Toas ont the DVD-R... I'm assuming because my settings when using Handbrake aren't correct.

Any help or tutorial that you could point me to would be extremely helpful! In the meantime, I'll keep searching the boards~!

Thanks guys!

OP
D
Reaction score
ok so then please allow me to clarify that the context of my question is ripping, compressing, and burning for legal purposes only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
without changing the settings on handbrake (in my experience) it compresses the video_ts file you would have ripped with mactheripper to a (roughly) 700MB file (i always used .avi) than you can burn it with toast (takes a long time to recode) everytime i have tried to just compress the video_ts, it screws it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.