VLC vs WMV vs Quicktime

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just bought a whitebook and started downloading applications. I havent decided whether to keep/download VLC, WMV, or Quicktime. I currently have Quicktime however when I used to use a PC I used both VLC and WMV.

Now that I've switched I'm unsure of which to use.

My question is which would you prefer in terms of quality and memory space. Should I uninstall Quicktime and install VLC or should I just keep both?

Thanks
-Justin :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are some things that require Quicktime, like iTunes. OSX uses Quicktime natively to play compatible files, like MP3s and MP4, within the finder. You can grab the other two Apps, but unlike Windows, Quicktime really is integrated into OSX, you probably don't want to get rid of it.

If you download Perian and Flip4Mac, you will be able to open most everything in Quicktime. Grab VLC for those few things that still have problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
They don't take up much space, so there's really no need to get rid of any of them. It's better to have it and only use it occasionally than to have to need it and waste time installing it.

I personally use Quicktime, especially now that it has the full-screen feature in the free version. After installing Perian and Flip4Mac, I don't have any issues with playback. I'll VLC for those rare files that don't seem to work in Quicktime. However, if I'm playing several files, I use VLC since it offers a playlist option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can't really remove QuickTime; it's part of the OS and is used by iTunes/iMovie/iDVD, the Finder, FrontRow, your browser(s) and many other apps. You could probably Trash the QuickTime Player app without a problem, though, but it doesn't really matter anyway.

Windows Media isn't much of an option on the Mac, because almost nothing is supported. It's also been abandoned by Microsoft.

QuickTime gets a lot more powerful with the addition of the Perian and Windows Media/Flip4Mac codecs. Since you can't remove QuickTime, and since it's so widely used anyway, you should probably install those regardless of which player you use most of the time. And remember that iTunes is a video player, too. (And unlike QT Player, it supports fullscreen for free.)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. Ill download those codecs your talking about.
I didnt realize Quicktime was such an essential part of a mac. Glad I asked before blindly trashing the APP.

-Justin :Smirk:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And all those reasons we use to get rid of QT on our windows rigs in favor of quicktime alternative just don't seem to rear their ugly heads on the Mac.

Reaction score
I only use VLC. It never gives me trouble, I like that I can increase volume above 100%, and I like the playlist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.