Help Configuring

Reaction score
Hi, first off I'd like to say that I couldn't find a sub forum thing that this fits in but I think this is where it should be.

As of now I am using a Crappy PC from 2000 with slightly updated hardware.

Well I know that I am getting a Mac Pro this October as a gift for the release of the new Mac OS ( yea my dad loves macs). The thing is I have to keep the config. price below $4000 or else I have to spend the difference, and i'm to young for a job :Shouting: !

I am big into photography so I will probably have to load 10-50 10MB photos into Aperture or Photoshop at a time.

I am also a pretty big gamer so I picked a pretty high end graphics card and memory.

Here is the config right now.

# Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
# 2GB (4 x 512MB)
# 750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
# ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
# Two 16x SuperDrives
# Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English

I was wondering If this would suit my needs and expand well was it ages. I was also wondering if there was anything that I could cut off to lower the price. ;D

Thank you for reading my novel and helping me out! :) :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
That is perfect for what you need. Maybe even a bit slightly overkill, maybe not. :)

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks, but do you know what would be the best to take off? Like mabey a slower processer or not as good of a graphics card. because right now I will be paying $350 ( omg I sound so poor) and would like to take it down a litte ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Hmm, if you're a gamer I dunno if a Mac is best for you...

You'll have to put Windows on it. You could use Parallels, which does 3D if it is OpenGL or DirectX 8 or below.

Or Boot Camp, which is free and runs everything a PC will do, but then you have to reboot to use Windows :(

To make it cheaper without losing any performance, get 1GB of RAM, then get the other gig from Crucial. Apple seriously overprice RAM, you can get 2GB from Crucial for less than 1GB from Apple.

You can find the exact RAM you will want from Crucial here.

Don't worry about not being able to upgrade it, Apple make it very easy to find what you're looking for inside their computers. You open pull a handle up and it lets the case off, then there are four silver trays with the RAM in.

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm not THAT much of a gamer, I will occasionly pop in civ or somthing like that. I have a Ps3 for my other gamig needs. Also, I think it was EA that said they would launch Mac games at this same time the windows came out. But I use my computer more for photo editing and that sort of thing.

As far as memory, I checked some othe places and I will defanetly do as you said. The Mac memory is over priced. Haha I wish I could order it with out any memory and then by some else where.

OP
O
Reaction score
lol O:) I guess I overstated that in the beginning. But I hate my PC but love my dads Mac so yea. I just want to run games at exeptional quality.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think I would take the 1GB RAM (2 x 512) and then purchase 2Gb kit after market. Then you'll have 3GB for $100 less money.

Also, take the 250GB drive. Use it as your main OS and application drive. Get the 750GB drive after market for backup and misc stuff. You can save another $100 and still have the 250 GB drive. Then, hopefully by the time you're filing up that 250 and need to start using your 750 for main storage, you'll be ready for a 1 TB to keep everthing backed up.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks ALOT. You guy's were alot of help. I myself don't have to pay anything now because the total is only a tad bit of $3700. Here is my updated configuration! Apple's memry is a total rip-off so thanks a lot again for pointing that out

# Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
# 1GB (2 x 512MB)
# 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
# ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
# Two 16x SuperDrives
# Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Glad we could help :p

Reaction score
Stick to 1 superdrive, a blue-ray or HD drive could then be added in the not so distant future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.