Windows Boots to Black Screen with mouse pointer

Reaction score
Hey

So I'm playing a nice game of Elder Scrolls on my Boot Camp windows partition and it crashes to windows, Then i re boot and windows loads but I'm getting a black screen and all i can see is the mouse pointer.

Windows has loaded but there is no graphics,

How can i re install my graphics card drivers, I have loaded windows in safe move and it wont let me re install the imac ATi drivers, I can book in VGA mode but again, I cant re install the drivers.

Anyone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM
Try booting into safe mode and uninstall the video driver from there. Once that is done Windows will default to a generic video driver. You MUST restart for this to take effect.

You cannot install drivers in safemode, because drivers are not loaded in safemode. Therefore, once you get the driver uninstalled, you need to boot windows normally, and it should allow you to login fine. From there you will need to reload the latest driver from ATI.

I would also recommend adjusting the pagefile if you're going to be gaming on this machine. You can find a guide to do so here:
Windows Edge - Tweaking Guide

Here is a screenshot I took that may help more if you're using XP:
Pagefile Settings

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.