preview icons in finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$40 B&W G3 400Mhz 256MB running 10.4.10.. gotta start somewhere eh?
hello everyone, new to the forum...

i have a quick question about something thats been bugging me for the past couple weeks.

why do only SOME of my pictures have a preview icon? this is so annoying!

thanks, RGN

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to Mac-Forums, niemo810.

I believe your question is the same as this one posted earlier today?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70654

Well, not exactly. I don't really have much of anything other than jpeg images, and I download them from my digital camera with image capture, and open them all in preview. Some of my images are usually sideways, so I rotate them. Most are untouched, but the ones that I modify and save don't have thumbnail previews.

Now I know that image capture makes a thumbnail preview for the image, and this would probably be altered in some way after I modify it with preview. However, all of the pictures I moved from my PC to my mac have thumbnail previews, and they haven't even seen image capture.

Why is this?

p.s. I went to apple.com support, and they said "Note: Some images may not have previews." Well why wouldnt they, if they're the same exact size and format of the other ones in the set?!

M

MacHeadCase

Yes when you modify images and save them with Preview, it gives the images a generic Preview icon. You can restore that thumbnail with the freeware I posted in that thread I linked you to.

Preview simply makes the image as lean as it can by stripping the thumbnail away for size/weight purposes.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, i just want to clarify that this isnt so much a "how do I fix it" post, this is more of a "why the **** hasn't apple fixed this yet" or "am I making this more difficult that it really is?" post. but if sobebody does know how to fix it without the use of any third party apps, that would be cool. thank you!!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes when you modify images and save them with Preview, it gives the images a generic Preview icon. You can restore that thumbnail with the freeware I posted in that thread I linked you to.

Preview simply makes the image as lean as it can by stripping the thumbnail away for size/weight purposes.

you are a fast typer i didn't even realise you responded already. thank you and i'll tryy the link you had in the other post. sorry about the repeated thread guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.