doesn't recognize my external harddrive

Reaction score
hello everyone,

i've just registered to the forum while i was looking for a solution in one of the pages. well, i have an external harddrive with ALL MY MUSIC in it. one day, when i connected the thing to my macbook the green light on the external drive blinked but the laptop did not recognize it (well the drive worked because there was the usual sound coming from it + the green light). when i tried to run disk utility, it said "gathering disk information" and it was struck in that state. what would you recommend? please guy, you MUST help...i've got whole of my music in it!!!

PS: SORRY, I'VE JUST CHECKED IT AND I HAVE 10.4.10. sorry for it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since Disk Utility freezes trying to read it, I am wondering if the drive did not die. I know that is not what you want to hear but it could be what is up. Is this drive formatted in an OSX format or FAT32? Do you have any other computer you can check the drive with?

OP
M
Reaction score
hello. well, since i can't access it, i cannot check how it is formated, but it didn't work in microsoft. but that's normal because it hadn't been working before either. maybe that'll give you an idea about its formating. i have changed its miniusb to usb cable just to be sure that it's working. and, sorry but i don't have another mac around me to check on other computers. any more ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
just let disk utility check the external HD. Might take long depending on the capacity of your HD. that happends to me sometimes, when I disconnect the USB with clicking on eject.

Reaction score
It is possible that it is because you have OS 10.4.10. Many people have been unable to use their USB hard drives since the update. It is very annoying and apparently still unfixed. I find it hard to accept that an apparently good company like Mac would leave so many of us with unusable hard disks for so long now. For us, the 10.4.10 update was just like receiving a virus!

See this thread for example:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67484&

Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.