10.3.4 update may have caused a problem

N

Nightblade

It's not really too big a problem, but it really pisses ME off. You see, on my G3 500 Mhz iMac I have NEVER been able to play a Gameboy Advance ROM at top speed on ANY emulator. The one that comes closest is Visualboy Advance. However, at my Dad's place, I have actually been able to play GBA ROMs (on Visualboy Advance) at top speed, even though he only has a G3 iBook 700 Mhz, with actually LESS RAM than mine (he has 256 MB). So, obviously the extra 200 Mhz made the difference (although when I played a GBA ROM on his iBook, it still took about 30 seconds from opening the game for it to reach top speed). Unfortunately, when I played a game a couple weeks back, it wasn't at top speed anymore! The only reason my Dad and I can think of for this is due to the 10.3.4 update. It could be the thing that's slowing down my game (and I don't feel like playing it anymore due to its lack of speed)! Has anyone else experienced anything similar (that is, any kinds of slow-downs)?

Note: REALLY, REALLY sorry for talking about ROMS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
You did repair permissions after the update? And you're running Mac Janitor or crons?

OP
N

Nightblade

Mac Janitor? I've actually never gotten it before. I guess I could give it a try...Thanks.

OP
S

sonnylee

No need for janitor. Just go to terminal and type in:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Since it seems that you don't know about this, I assume that you haven't done this at all, hence "daily weekly monthly" arguments.

OP
S

sonnylee

JUST REMEMBERED! REPAIR PERMISSIONS B E F O R E you do the sudo maintenance thingy I mentioned earlier.

Sonny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
sonnylee said:
No need for janitor. Just go to terminal and type in:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Since it seems that you don't know about this, I assume that you haven't done this at all, hence "daily weekly monthly" arguments.
The command I use = sudo sh /etc/daily again for weekly (the long one) and again for monthly ie sudo sh /etc/monthly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.