Might Have Screwed Up...

Reaction score
So I have a macbook and I'm trying to run Inkscape. I downloaded it and when i tried to run it I got an error message stating I needed X11 to run the program. It also told me I could get X11 from my OS X Install Disc. So I pop in my install disc and click on Install Bundled Software thinking its in there but no. That started to install all the default programs that came on my mac. The question I have is will this create duplicates of alllll the default programs I have or will it just update all the programs??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
No, I won't duplicate them. X11 is on the DVD, I think you have to scroll down the window to find it though.

M

MacHeadCase

Why not use Pacifist? That way you can select only the package you need from the DVD. If you can't get it any other way, that is. :)

OP
Keef
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply! I'm curious though, it doesnt look like it duplicated anything but I'm wondering what it was doing the 20 minutes it spent installing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Just installing the apps over the top of the existing ones, I'd imagine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To install X11:
After inserting the DVD- browse thru the folders to:
System > Installation > Packages
The package you want is: X11User.pkg - double click on it, is then basically automatic

X11 will then be located in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder
you may need to set some preferences in X11 for it to work properly with Inkscape - check Inkscapes documentation

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.