New convert- question about running windows

Reaction score
Just got my first MAC: MB several days ago and have used the search functin on this forum to answer most of my newbie questions. Here I ask a few that I was not able to find:

1. Using Windows and MAC at the same time: I constantly download .avi files and the program that runs the DL is an .exe So I'm thinking about DL'ing the BootCamp and installing Windows. Question is...while I'm on Windows downloading .avi stuff, could I be on the OSX interface? At this point, I really don't need Windows EXCEPT to download such avi files using .exe program, but I don't want that to interfere while I browse through my MAC.

2. MSN Messenger is my primary 'chat'- one of the first I've DL'd since getting the MB. While using it, I've noticed that I could not see the other person's picture (this is the main identification picture). I could live without it, ofcourse. But I'd like to know what's supporting that picture and what it is MAC isn't or cannot support so that I'll know in the future when similar thing happens.

3. Flash Player: I tried viewing a flash based video or image content and it's not working either. It's almost like a slideshow on the webpage. Instead of the images, there's a blue cube with a question mark on it. I tried clicking, dragging, holding, 'command' clicking etc. to find out what the box is saying, but it fails to provide an instruction on how to resolve the "?".

4. Keyboard Shortcut: Is there a short-cut tutorial menu anywhere to show what key combos do what besides what's under "Keyboard & Mouse: Keyboard Shortcuts"? It seems like the command key can be a sweeet feature once all figured out.

5. Shared Printer: I have 3 computers in the house networked to one printer. There's a 'Shared File' option on Windows, but I can't find it on MAC. Can I wirelessly link or 'share' this computer with my main printer?

6. Battery: I have my MB plugged almost 24/7 so I uninstalled the battery. I'm sure it won't affect anything besides draining my battery out, but any pointers on what to watch out for is surely appreciated.

I think thats it for now. Sorry if the answers are a repeat. :Oops:

Reaction score
1. With Bootcamp, it's a one-or-the-other situation; you can either be in Windows or OS X, but not both. If you want to run Windows simultaneously with OS X, you can use Parallels. How are you downloading the .avis? Are you sure there's not a Mac way?

2. Messenger: Mac supports user images, so I don't know why yours aren't showing... give Adium a try, it's a better program for MSN anyway.

4. try Googling... a lot of PC shortcuts are the same on the Mac, except with the command key (eg. command-C, command-V, command-N)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Uh, dude...you can play AVIs in Mac too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Just got my first MAC: MB several days ago and have used the search functin on this forum to answer most of my newbie questions. Here I ask a few that I was not able to find:

1. Using Windows and MAC at the same time: I constantly download .avi files and the program that runs the DL is an .exe So I'm thinking about DL'ing the BootCamp and installing Windows. Question is...while I'm on Windows downloading .avi stuff, could I be on the OSX interface? At this point, I really don't need Windows EXCEPT to download such avi files using .exe program, but I don't want that to interfere while I browse through my MAC.

2. MSN Messenger is my primary 'chat'- one of the first I've DL'd since getting the MB. While using it, I've noticed that I could not see the other person's picture (this is the main identification picture). I could live without it, ofcourse. But I'd like to know what's supporting that picture and what it is MAC isn't or cannot support so that I'll know in the future when similar thing happens.

3. Flash Player: I tried viewing a flash based video or image content and it's not working either. It's almost like a slideshow on the webpage. Instead of the images, there's a blue cube with a question mark on it. I tried clicking, dragging, holding, 'command' clicking etc. to find out what the box is saying, but it fails to provide an instruction on how to resolve the "?".

4. Keyboard Shortcut: Is there a short-cut tutorial menu anywhere to show what key combos do what besides what's under "Keyboard & Mouse: Keyboard Shortcuts"? It seems like the command key can be a sweeet feature once all figured out.

5. Shared Printer: I have 3 computers in the house networked to one printer. There's a 'Shared File' option on Windows, but I can't find it on MAC. Can I wirelessly link or 'share' this computer with my main printer?

6. Battery: I have my MB plugged almost 24/7 so I uninstalled the battery. I'm sure it won't affect anything besides draining my battery out, but any pointers on what to watch out for is surely appreciated.

I think thats it for now. Sorry if the answers are a repeat. :Oops:

1. You can play AVIs in Mac. Get Perian to play them in Quicktime. You should also get Flip4Mac to play WMVs in Quicktime.

2. Eww. Messenger for Mac is horrible. Get Adium or aMSN. You will still be able to chat to your MSN buddies through the same account, but with way more features.

3. Have you got the latest version of Flash Player?

4. CLICK HERE FOR THE ANSWER TO YOUR PRAYERS.

5. Go into System Preferences and take a gander at the 'Print & Fax' section.

6. Keeping it plugged in 24/7 won't harm it, but you should calibrate your battery. For how to do that, we turn to Apple:

Apple said:
1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your MacBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.

5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.

Reaction score
hmm, for #1 I assumed he meant that the program he uses to download the .avis is a PC program. If you just need to play them, then VLC is my favourite player.

OP
D
Reaction score
1. You can play AVIs in Mac. Get Perian to play them in Quicktime. You should also get Flip4Mac to play WMVs in Quicktime.

2. Eww. Messenger for Mac is horrible. Get Adium or aMSN. You will still be able to chat to your MSN buddies through the same account, but with way more features.

3. Have you got the latest version of Flash Player?

4. CLICK HERE FOR THE ANSWER TO YOUR PRAYERS.

5. Go into System Preferences and take a gander at the 'Print & Fax' section.

6. Keeping it plugged in 24/7 won't harm it, but you should calibrate your battery. For how to do that, we turn to Apple:

1. No problem with watching .avi, but problem with downloading .avi with a windows program. VisualPurple pretty much nailed it down for me- thanks.

2. Had no clue about Adium or aMSN. I will definitely look into that- thanks.

3. Yes. I downloaded the latest version from adobe.com, meeting the minimum requirements as well. Flash still doesn't work- at least for the site I'm trying to view.

4. I never thought I'd get any useful free info out of that site. I'll have to browse around and use it as another 'search' tool - thanks.

5. I did take a peek at the "Print & Fax" under the system preferences. While my other PC's are detecting the printer wirelessly, my MAC fails to do so.

6. Calibrating batteries is unheard of. Further explanation would be appreciated.

I already have VLC. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer guys. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.