Whats the main reason you got a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
What drew me to Macs are its UNIX roots. I have multiple systems with multiple operating systems and I wanted to tinker with Linux some more when I started reading about Macs and realized that Mac OS X is what Linux has been trying to become for years now. I decided at that point to skip linux all together and get a mac. IMHO, anyone that is thinking about getting a linux desktop should really think about Macs instead.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
honestly, i have a bunch of friends who have macs so i played on theirs for a while. then i couldnt stop thinking about them. i was constantly looking at them on the apple website. finally, i just called apple while i was at work and ordered one. most expensive (and best) impulse buy ever. i have been very happy ever since. PLUS, theyre super cute!!!

and also, i have convinced 3 friends to get macbooks after i got mine, and they love it too. go me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I already had a windows laptop and decided I wanted a desktop too. the Imacs were pretty, slimline and semi-portable, plus I used to have a G3 iMac I loved, and knew i'd love it. which I do. Its a nice change from Windows XP at work and on the laptop!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
do macs have any problems ever?

Of course they do, they are complex machines, almost exactly like a PC. This forum would be a lot quiet if they didn't. Its just that they do a lot of self maintenance, do not have a registry and are not plagued with the sort of security issues that plagues windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
On my windows HP pc I was sick of cleaning up spyware every single day, doing a weekly virus scan, defragging and cleaning the system with errors etc. I was doing more maintaince on the computer than having fun at times. I also reformatted my pc every year due to so many errors then reinstalling all the drivers for everything.

I got my iMac as I loved the look of the LCD;D I liked how there was no big box, less wires (I had a massive wire network by my feet) and loved the new soft touch keyboard. I love my iMac so far, it's all good.:Evil:

Reaction score
do macs have any problems ever?

Just today I had Safari crash on me. It was about the third time that has happened in the 6 months I have owned this MBP. Pretty impressive! I can't tell you how many times IE has crashed on my Windows machine during that time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Definitely less crashes - I've had my iMac since September and not had one single issue with it - except the scroll wheel on the wireless mighty mouse needing a clean - and thats no biggy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
I got mine for 2 reasons,

firstly I was getting annoyed with pc's, having just bought a brand new one in the false hope that it would work better than my odds and ends machines of the past and suffered even more tantrums from it than normal.

Secondly, the G4 iMac is by far the best looking desktop computer I have ever seen

I did contemplate buying one earlier when I bought the new pc but was put off by the price of the macs. I also figured that I would have to buy all my software again for a mac which unfortunately was true.

It has been very good though. I'm now wanting to buy a brand new G5 macbook because I'm so impressed with my old 2nd hand G4.

I won't say it's been without problems though. Just that the problems were all caused by my learning process with the mac whereas with the pc the problems were caused by it being awkward like a teenager.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 120 GB HD
Windows Vista.

Reaction score
Windows Vista.

LOL, no kidding. I installed it once... and promptly reinstalled XP. Not that XP is much better, but Vista is your typical 1st generation Microsoft product - slow, painful, and buggy as heck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I got mine for the looks - yes I really am that shallow:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2.2Ghz / 1gb / 120gb / Leopard
Hey guys,

Well i got mine for a few reasons.

My old Windows laptop broke, so i needed a replacement.....Mac was the obvious choice.
All the machines look excellent, I've got a Macbook and just love it!
I also wanted to make the switch from PC to Mac.

Reaction score
LOL, no kidding. I installed it once... and promptly reinstalled XP. Not that XP is much better, but Vista is your typical 1st generation Microsoft product - slow, painful, and buggy as heck.

i think you mean typical *MS* product. Period. I am a realist, not a fanboy. Also, MS' theory is "why let the user find a simple, one-click, easy to execute a solution that could be done in ONE mouse click, when 17 will do?!". Maddens me, but hey I don't care now - I got my Mac ;).

Reaction score
Getting a macbook pro for graphic design work. Been a Windows user forever, but I need a Mac machine too, plus I want to get a laptop. Kinda sucks that I have to buy a new version of adobe creative suite, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
Oh, I just thought of one thing that I do miss on my mac: a forward delete key. I know I can use fn+del, and I do when I have to, but that's not as practical as just having a key for that. Sometimes I hit "eject" without thinking because of that. - But this is something small and that's relatively easy to get used to.

Reaction score
Oh, I just thought of one thing that I do miss on my mac: a forward delete key. I know I can use fn+del, and I do when I have to, but that's not as practical as just having a key for that. Sometimes I hit "eject" without thinking because of that. - But this is something small and that's relatively easy to get used to.

Well let me say this to you; you have to re-learn quite a number of KB shortcuts when switching to Macs, so I can't see why one more key combo is going to stifle your learning curve much. It's simple; remember to do it, or it won't work. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
:p Yeah, I'm getting good at this keyboard thing, and I actually prefer the mac keyboard to windows'. I just miss that one button, because it was practical.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.