Whats the main reason you got a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I LOVED how it looked, no tower to hang out around my feet (taking up room) and no viruses! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD
I work at a Print Shop and once upon a time ago we ran off Windows computers. How can I describe how that went...........Cataclysmic? Horrendous? Soul harvesting? It was pretty bad. Something was always wrong and something could never be done. Our software and requirements are more advanced than usually what Windows can offer and/or live up to on their computers. After a serious crash a few years back that nearly wiped our business right out, we finally agreed that my father in law is not an idiot and Mac is the way to go for this kind of work. So, we switched back to Macintosh and things have been smooth as all goodness. The interface took a while getting used to, and the keyboard commands were annoying at first, but once I got the hang of it...it was just better. Overall better. More stable and secure...higher performance. Not even half the worries we had with a Windows computer.

After a pleasant experience with Apple, I decided to buy an iMac and things just went uphill from there.

And there aren't many viruses out for Macs. Don't misunderstand me, or anybody, because there *are* threats to Macs...but there aren't as many. It's a safe feeling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GB ram 160 GB HD
I'm buying my first mac next friday (tax-free weekend) because I'm sick of dealing with viruses on my pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
The main reason I got a mac was my use of Photoshop, Flash, etc. I used all my art-apps on the PC and got a mac mini for recording music with my band, I fell in love ever since...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
The quality software, and video editing.

T

todd51

I wanted a laptop, and I loved the looks/design of Apple laptops. I also love change in life. I was always familiar with OS X and I wanted to become more familiar with it.

That is the main reason, I wanted a change in my life. Of course I got many benefits with it such as the no viruses and and all that. There have been some downsides, like the time I had to lug up my PC desktop up to college one time because the software for my online class didn't run under OS X.

Although, there are downsides to every choice we make in life! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
Well the truth is that i bought my Mac to check it out...I mean everyone was talking about Macs, no crashes, no viruses, nice interface, very clever apps that help u do things faster, better performance, more stable, good looking, everything is made by the same company and other stuff i cant remember.
So i bought one. And for me at this time everything is like what ppl said.
Also i needed a change got very very bored with Windows and i really wanted a change, i also loved that i have to learn a new OS.
I dont think im gonna buy a PC in the future, my next prolly will be a MacPro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 80GB 2GHz C2D 1GB RAM | iPod Nano 3G 8GB
I wanted a laptop, and the appeal of it just working was a main factor. Also, I wanted to get away from WMM without having to buy software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
My mum and dad had both being using Macs for different reasons since the late '80s, so a Mac was the norm to me.

When I started high school and wanted a computer of my own, all I needed was Office, so I got the cheapest PC available at the time (was about £400. 300Mhz, 16MB RAM, 4GB HDD....). Then a few years later it was proposed that I could a) go to Florida for 2 weeks or b) have a £600 PC. I chose the PC. Then when I left high school and started college, I didn't just need Office anymore; I needed DreamWeaver, Photoshop, InDesign, Flash, and Final Cut would be very handy too. Luckily my dad had just updated to a new Mac, and the new versions of all those programs (minus FC), so I got his old machine with everything on that I needed.

Reaction score
I was sick of viruses, crashes, not being able to find any good editing software, having a tower, having to choose between all the different manufacturers, and my PC was just awful. It took 7 minutes to boot up and load a browser.

There are other reasons I can't think of.

The bootup thing is an excellent point! My HP 3.0 GHZ with 2 GIGS ram, takes double the time to boot up and then when Windows desktop is loaded, it takes a few more minutes before I can do anything. The only way I could stop this from happening would be to remove the antivirus, and a few other things. Starting two programs immediatly would make the computer freeze up for a few minutes than the programs do load up. My MBP is always ready to go the second the desktop loads.

How many times have I had IE crash on me? I don't think there is a calculator out there that can count them all. I also hated how when one IE window would stop responding and closing that one would close them all. :(

In two weeks now I haven't had Safari crash in me! I'm still waiting before I can get Photoshop loaded up on my Mac. I would load up XP but what's the point? It's a MBP and I have two other XP laptops I could use till then. I don't want to trash this Mac with the likes of XP. It's working as is, why risk that?

I love my MBP and my iPhone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Windows crashed irreparably and I lost a substantial amount of work. Apple switched to Intel 10 days later, so I went for it.

Reaction score
I've disliked Microsoft for years because they sell product that doesn't work.

Mac's are secure

iLife

Mac has a dictionary - can you imagine that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
- didnt know about macs,
- started seeing frequent vids on youtube by windows faanboys, me being a windows user at the time took interest and watched, seemed a bit hateful, I mean, its just an OS!
- researched the other side of the argument, and was impressed
- found this forum, bought my iMac and the rest is history!

No going back for me

Reaction score
i used a mac in my video class for the final cut software senior year in high school. i'd prefer it any day over a PC. though, i would like maybe, idk, alienware or something for games
haha. i wish

Reaction score
Richmond, VA, a native of Chapel Hill, N.C.
Your Mac's Specs
17' iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 1g ram | iPod Photo 60gb | 2G Shuffle
I'm a pro photographer, and it took me way too long to switch. I've never been happier with a machine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My primary reason was price.
At the time I bought my MBP, it was $750 cheaper than a Dell or a Sony, almost $1300 cheaper than Alienware (albeit at least Alienware did have a much better video card), $600 cheaper than an HP.

You couldn't buy any of the other off the shelf systems from Acer, Toshiba, etc. with the same processor that came in my MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.