Whats the main reason you got a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
Here's something that probably isn't said too often: I got my first Mac because I needed a Mac for work. I was a Windows developer and my team got moved to working on an app for Mac instead, and I'd never so much as touched a Mac. So I got a loaner G4 12" from the office, but it was so much slower than the MBPs the rest of the team had that eventually I ended up buying my own MBP to be able to keep up.

Fortunately I fell in love with the thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Aluminum MacBook, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD
I'm a long time PC user (raised on Win98 and XP - yeah, I'm young lol) but I was reluctant to switch to Vista. I need a laptop for college and while I could have built a desktop PC myself, I couldn't find a PC laptop company I trusted. I had just heard too many mixed reviews on each. One had crap customer support, one was notorious for dead motherboards after a year... etc.

I'd heard so much about how intuitive and user-friendly OS X is and when I investigated Apple as a company, I heard so many good things about their customer support and the way their hardware works with their software.

I have to say, as well, that iLife is so much more useful than the software that came with my Dell PC.

I'm also drawn by the fact that my MacBook is such an awesome combination of form and function. I've had to sacrifice nothing to get a machine that runs like a dream, is attractive, and is light enough for 100lb me to carry around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X 10.5.6 2.4Ghz Int Core Duo 1GB Memory
because of Final Cut PRO, i love the operating system the softwares they have MAC just Rules, the more i learn the more i love my mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
As Apple says, "it just works".

That and they're incredibly sexy.

Love mine.

Reaction score
Got my MacBook Pro for reliability and the looks. It's still nice looking and it works wonderfuly.

Reaction score
I bought a Mac because a friends dad had a Mac laptop(wanna say an iBook) and my ex-gf has a Mac Mini. I had also got a blue slot load G3 iMac at a garage sale for a whole $2 and was so surprised that it worked, and loaded up so effing fast I couldnt believe it(given its age and the fact that I had PCs that has seen far less abuse[I could tell this particular iMac was relegated to kid duties] that were half as old that couldnt start this fast).

I bought my iMac about a year or so ago because the last PC I bought, I was unable to upgrade the video card due to Vista being stupid. Customer support on either side gave me BS, and I was not interested in building my own again, and rebuilding it three days later because I was not satisfied like I always was. That and as revel kindly pointed out above, "it just works". I decided on a nice used one, a 17" 2.0GHz C2D model. I figured I would take a used one just in case I didnt like it. I know Apples have a high resale value, but I figure used I had a better shot at getting back what I paid for sure. As it turns out, I loved it, and I havent looked back since. My brand new PC is still almost brand new and is hooked up to my LCD tv and sees very little use. Ive used it to play WoW a couple times and thats about it.

I now own that little G3 slot load, an eMac, this iMac, just bought mom and dad a slightly used 1.83GHz C2D mini and am contemplating a few other Mac purchases as well(another mini and possibly a MBP). I also feel a new iMac in the near future as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My first was a powerbook 520c because like the Atari 1040 ST before it, it used the WIMP approach - Window Icon Menu Pointer - that way i avoided the command line carry on and still cannot find my way around in the XP scene.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My first was a powerbook 520c because like the Atari 1040 ST before it, it used the WIMP approach - Window Icon Menu Pointer - that way i avoided the command line carry on and still cannot find my way around in the XP scene.

Interesting as I went from an Atari 1040ST also but to an Amiga first then a Mac after the Amiga started to die out. I still have the Atari ST though and will always keep it. Good machine for it's time. I was so poor at that time I had to settle for a Mac Plus and later Mac SE. Hey, it worked quite well till I could afford a more modern Mac. I still have a 520c with a Power PC Mod. Still works.

Reaction score
Got my 1st Mac last year as a personal laptop for email, web surfing, and personal media (music, photos, video). I chose Mac over PC because of (1) the halo effect from the iPhone, (2) tired of the hassle of anti-viruses and Microsoft software updates and other Windows issues for such light computer needs, (3) I'd only ever had PCs and use PCs for work all day long, so was ready to try something different for my personal use. If I had bought in the Fall, I probably would have gotten an aluminum 13" MB, but this was Spring '08 so I went with a 15" MBP instead shortly after they were refreshed.

I had a lot of switcher frustrations in the beginning, but am finally starting to get used to it. OS X really is a lovely OS, in my opinion- I really enjoy it.

Got my 2nd Mac (just last week) to do iPhone programming, which can only be done on a Mac. And also to serve as our home's iTunes server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Initially I got my MacBook Pro because I wanted to learn Final Cut Pro. For the first nine months, I was mostly concerned with that because I've been teaching myself everything I need to know for the Apple Certification exam.

But once I got comfortable with FCP, I started taking the time to really explore OSX and the more I use my MBP the more I love it. I eventually transferred all my old files onto it and I never use my desktop PC anymore. For the one and only Windows program I still use (Quicken), I have Fusion.

I don't have many PC horror stories, but I was getting sick of my Windows computer getting slower despite running virus checks, defragging, adding more memory, and all this other stuff to no avail. It was just a general malaise. My Mac just lets me zip through all the stuff I want to do and looks amazing, plus it's incredibly powerful.

I first started learning FCP at the local public access cable station about a year ago, I got my MBP in June of 08, got my own copy of FCS two months later, used the Level 1 certification book to teach myself the basics, got a job doing some editing in September, and I just passed the practice exam. Next week I'll take the real one and finding more editing work should be a lot easier.

So my MBP has quickly changed my life for the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 2014 model, 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD
Well I just got a macbook (aluminum 13 inches one) almost 3 weeks ago and I'm so glad I got it. I'm from Pakistan so Mac weren't able here before and iPods were introduced here quite later but now we have 2-3 apple authorized sellers here and they are introducing a lot of apple stuff, which is awesome. I was always fascinated by a Mac computer whenever I saw them or heard about them from others but since they weren't available here so I never got a chance to get my hands on one. Just saw them on the internet.

Anyhow, I had a Vaio C2D 1.6 Ghz VGN series and I won't say that it was a bad PC at all since I spent 3 and a half years with it and it came with Vista pre-installed, which I personally hated to so much that I installed XP on my machine. Now when it was time to get a new machine, I was reluctant to get a new PC because of the countless viruses, instability of the systems and FURTHERMORE, Vista on it since now the drivers of the newer models don't offer compatibility with XP.

So finally I went to an Apple authorized seller and I was blown away by the operating software. Its vibrant colours and beautiful image display just caught my attention and I was head over heels love with the macbook (LOL)

I must say that it is expensive and I had to utilize a lot of my savings but I'm so glad I did. It was worth the price I paid for and I just love it. I don't think, I'd ever switch back to PC in my life again. Mac ROCKS :-D

Reaction score
Many reasons, but the final straw for me was Windows Vista/Viruses. I wanted to revert back to XP and HP said it would void my hardware warranty, etc, etc. So, I said ENOUGH!

Macs have the best media software-Final Cut Pro and Logic Studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Got my macbook because was sick of having to upgrade software and defend all my files on a pc...... When doing my research found a company selling ex-demo earlier generation macbook. When i inquired bout them $ value $900.I didn't receive a e-mail back and and they took that particular model off there website. I wrote a scathing email back mentioning LAZY, INCOMPETENT, and CUSTOMER SERVICE....
2days later the CEO of the company wrote a nice email back apologizing profusely and offered me last GEN macbook value at $1599 for the same price as the one i enquired about...... WOW bloody WOW
I took up the offer ... to good to pass up.
Now
Once i have gone mac i will never go back.

Who says complaining never gets you anywhere and being a Aussie i got great value with my RUDD bonus

Thank you Mister Prime Minister

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Interesting as I went from an Atari 1040ST also but to an Amiga first then a Mac after the Amiga started to die out. I still have the Atari ST though and will always keep it. Good machine for it's time. I was so poor at that time I had to settle for a Mac Plus and later Mac SE. Hey, it worked quite well till I could afford a more modern Mac. I still have a 520c with a Power PC Mod. Still works.
Question for the historians out there - i recall using Neo Office as a GUI on my Atari back in 90 or there abouts, so is that related in anyway to the current Neo Office suite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.