• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Magazines...

Reaction score
I like to read magazines!! My subscription to my last magazine (MBUK (Mountain Biking UK)) has just fiished and i didn't want to continue with it and so i have decided to subscribe to a mac magazine but which one...? Im a UK resident and from what i can see the only available mac magazines in the UK are:

iCreate
Macwolrd
Macuser
Mac Format CD

Does anyone read any of these magazines and also if you have experieneced them all which one did you think was the best and why?? I want to subscribe to one but don't know which one....
Or is there any otheres you read which are availabe in the UK which are mac or apple related...

Reaction score
I have purchased all the magazines you described at somepoint or another.. but the one which I get every month is MacFormat. IMHO it is head and shoulders above the others...
iCreate is a little different in that it is more geared towards design/creativy etc.. It is very well produced, great to look at and pricey! very much a niche magazine I would say.
The other 3 are similar to each other, but again I think MacFormat is top.

Personal preference in the end. Go to the shop and browse each of them then subscribe to the one you like the best!

hope that helps?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes taht did help a lot. I have had a look at them all (not bought thme just had a quick flick through in the shop!) and MacFormat did look the best. thankyou

Anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
iCreate or MacFormat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I'd go for Mac format... Has some great Tutorials

However iCreate has those MacBook mags exclusive to WH Smiths they cost 13 quid but the two I have were well worth it

OP
A
Reaction score
it seems as though i have to go with MacFormat then!! however kilted1 could u give me some more info on these WH smith mags you mentioned. can i find them online or do i have to go into whs to get them thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I haven't managed to find them online either. They are as I have said Exclusive to WH smith so you will have to go into nearest branch and ask.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well there is one near me so what i think ill do is subscribe to MacFormat but every so often get the other magazine you said becuase it is quite expensive!!

Reaction score
MacFormat AND iCreate, if i were you...and i come from australia so i have to pay about twice as much as you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I've bought all the magazines before, and the only one I found any use was Mac Creative (which is now incorporated into iCreate). All the others seem to address basic issues/tutorials with the OS, and news that (by the time it's published) I knew about weeks ago.

Mac Creative covered tutorials with the Pro range of apps (Final Cut, Motion, Shake, Logic, DVD Studio, Photoshop etc etc), which is what I'm into. When it was incorporated into iCreate the Pro tutorials disappeared, and now it's full of iLife & "Express" tutorials. Great for new users or hobbyists, but useless to me.

Depending on how you use your Mac, iCreate might be very useful... MacFormat is good, but doesn't cover anything I don't get from RSS feeds anyway.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok thanks, i will probably purchase MacFormat tho as I can not afford aboth iCreate and MacFormat and i fell MacFormat would benfit me more...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.