External HD problems

Reaction score
My external HD let's iTunes use the music, movies, and iPhoto use the photo's, but for some odd reason, I can't add anything to it, or delete off it...

Any idea's?

OP
S
Reaction score
Umm.. What's that?

I had no problem using it, and editing it with my Dell.. Apple store said it would be plug and play with the iMac..

OP
S
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks. I'm new to the whole Mac thing, so it's a learning experience..

I just pulled my pics/music/video to the desktop, and then I'll erase, reformat, and put them back!

Reaction score
Hold on though! Can you write to the hard drive at all? Please check first that this is the problem before you go to the bother!

OP
S
Reaction score
I can't drag and drop anything on the external...Either way, I'll need my stuff off of it, even if I have to go exchange it.

Reaction score
Ok, well keep in mind that there is more than likely nothing wrong with the drive at all! Its probably the File system and this drive is using a Windows filesystem because you were using it with the Dell.

All drives would behave the same. ;)

Reaction score
I would assume so.
But keep in mind that HFS+ is the default Mac File System.

To best put it:

"OS X will read NTFS. Won't write to it. Why? Most likely because of the security model... a Mac would need to be aware of the NT filesystem and permissions structure in order to effecitvely read and write to the disk. That is not easy to do, as how would a Mac predict both NT Workstation and Domain permissions when it is not "active"?"

------------------

Mac OS X has read write Access to FAT32 so if you want to use your drive on PC & Mac maybe this would be a better option? It really is down to how you want to use your drive though.

I guess this means that Mac OS X also supports FAT16 (or simply FAT), but the limitation with that is the maximum file size is 4GB.

I think it wouldn't do any harm Google it a bit and see what more you can find out about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.