iMovie importing files: Sluggish.

Reaction score
Hello, I have an old eMac with the following specifications:

eMac (2004)
Processor: 1.25 Ghz PowerPC G4
Memory: 1.25GB DDR 2700 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 40GB
External USB/Firewire 160GB Hard Drive

Also with this Mac I have iMovie 6.03 installed and here is where the trouble begins. With my external Hard Drive, I moved some of my old DIVX files to my mac. However, for every minute of film it takes like about three minutes to import. I find this strange because on my Windows PC, importing clips on both Movie Maker 2 and Ulead VideoStudio 10 was almost instantaneous regardless if the clip was 3 minutes or 30 minutes. So I would like to ask is this normal with iMovie or is it a problem. If it is a problem do anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
iMovie converts the video to DV to edit; that's why it's taking so long. If you're only doing very basic editing, then you should probably find a program that will edit DIVX natively.

OP
I
Reaction score
iMovie converts the video to DV to edit; that's why it's taking so long. If you're only doing very basic editing, then you should probably find a program that will edit DIVX natively.

Oh okay, I understand is there anyway possible to stop it from doing that? Or is there any other program I can use that you know of? Thanks a lot.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Or is there any other program I can use that you know of? Thanks a lot.

Lash out for Final Cut Express HD, a much better application, you will quickly outgrow iMovie anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.