Is The web cam on my Imac worthless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac 2.66 1T 8GB
Is the a way to get it to work with msn messanger for live chats?
If so please tell how.

Thank you
Jon

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the a way to get it to work with msn messanger for live chats?
If so please tell how.

Thank you
Jon

Amsn allows Video chat on MSN. It's Microsofts fault the iSight does not do video chat on MSN. iChat does AIM with Video and Audio for AIM. The iSight also works Video with Yahoo's Beta client for OSX.

Give aMSN a try.

http://cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
download amsn. mac:msn is missing a lot of features.
but you can use the isight on your imac for other things, like programs such as photobooth, and imovie :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I know I am repeating myself here. But SKYPE is AWESOME. iSight works perfect with it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
No, of course not. I video iChat with my wife all the time. Of course, she has a Mac too.

I haven't tested aMSN yet for chatting with other MSN users, mostly because the only other person I know who uses MSN (other than myself for testing with my now-webcam equipped Dell) and is equipped with a webcam is someone I dislike talking to in person, much less on a dedicated video chat.

I do sort of wish video equipped AIM users could video chat with iSight equipped iSight users, but oh well.

Oh, I sent my parents my old non-iSight equipped Mac Mini. Then I bought a Rocketfish USB webcam for them. I had them download iChatUSB, and indeed that worked just fine with that USB cam, and iChat. This way I don't have to call them on the phone. When they call for technical support I can tell them to point the camera at whatever is vexing them and be better able to fix whatever technical issue of the week comes up.

Oh, and you can make silly little videos when you're bored. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Personally I'm not a fan of MSN; but like the MySpace/Facebook/Bebo etc etc choice, which one's better doesn't matter (they're all equally crap): you use the ones your friends do. So it really doesn't matter how good Skype is, but how many other people you know use it (or would happily switch).

I'd bet my friends have never heard of Skype, or AIM for that matter so I'm stuck using MSN with them (although I prefer to just ring people...).

OP
Suzie68
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac 2.66 1T 8GB
Amsn allows Video chat on MSN. It's Microsofts fault the iSight does not do video chat on MSN. iChat does AIM with Video and Audio for AIM. The iSight also works Video with Yahoo's Beta client for OSX.

Give aMSN a try.

http://cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/

I would like to just be honest here. I have only been a mac user for 7 months
Is aMSN going to allow me to communicate with others on MSN and work about the same with live chat.
All the people I know have MSN and I want to be able to talk with them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would like to just be honest here. I have only been a mac user for 7 months
Is aMSN going to allow me to communicate with others on MSN and work about the same with live chat.
All the people I know have MSN and I want to be able to talk with them.

aMSN is an after market MSN client and the only one that supports Video Chat in OSX with MSN. I tried it and it works great, but like the other poster, I have few MSN friends to chat with. Give it a try. It should work fine for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.