Software update - new Mac user

Reaction score
I am a switcher from PC - sick of spending ages just fixing things!

Just got a Mac Mini and MacBook and been using over the weekend no problem. Went to software update and there were a number of updates to run - the biggest was to 10.4.10 (Mac Mini shipped with 10.4.7)

I downloaded and ran this update but on restarting the Mac Mini it just hangs at the starting Mac OS X screen everytime. Had to re-install the original OS from the supplied disks (which takes ages!).

Tried a couple of times with the same result each time - it seems that 10.4.10 won't run on my new MacMini?

Any ideas what to try - or just leave it at 10.4.7 which works fine!

(MacBook updated just fine BTW)

Cheers and thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, touringman.

A re-install of OS X is usually unnecesssary. It's kinda like using a rocket launcher to get rid of a fly. There are many other things to try before doing a complete OS reinstall.

Now on to the finicky update on that Mac Mini of yours...

Ok now what I do when I need to update the OS is pretty easy. First I start in Safe Boot (restart while holding down the Shift key). Safe Boot does two things:

1 - it disables all your startup items so, unless you are using AirPort for your internet access, you're good to use the internet for the OS update

2 - it clears out some junk that is still in various caches and makes more likely a successful OS update

Before installing the update, I unplug all unnecessary peripherals and then install the Combo Update (this download is for Intel-based Macs) from Apple's Support website rather than use the Software Update in the System Preferences. Combo Updates usually make more system checkups upon the installs and contain more optimization scripts.

Please note that you should not use the computer while the OS update is underway and that all applications should be quit: just let the install do its thing.

Once the OS is updated directly from Apple's website, then you can restart and run Software Update for the rest of the apps updates if you want.

Things should go smoothly now. Report back and let us know how it went, ok? Good luck! :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Still a bit concerned as to why the publihed update wouldn't work on a new Mac?

I don't want to start it again and then lose everything again (my data is backed up but I have just configured lightroom again and pshop so its a long job to re-install etc)

If the system hangs again is there an alternative to re-installing that I don't know about? - thought I was past all this tom foolery switching to Mac OS.

Cheers

M

MacHeadCase

Why an OS update wouldn't work on a Mac? Maybe you used applications, opening programs, windows, etc. while the update was installing, I don't know.

One thing I know is a prominent developer in the Mac community discovered a bug: Shock and Awe: How Installing Apple's Updates can Render Your Mac Unbootable and How You Can Prevent it.

So since the author knows more about coding than I do, I follow his advice. And as for the Combo Updates I told you about in my post above, I gave you the reasons why it was a better option for those Mac users who are having problems with an OS update.

Be aware that this update brings two restarts after the install and the restart is longer than usual because the system is rebuilding its cache.

Like I said earlier, an OS reinstall is not the usual route to solving problems in the Mac world but a lot of people do it anyway as their computer training came from Windoze.

Anyway I gave you the keys to the car (precautions to take for finicky installs like on your Mini - your MacBook took the update well, I gather?), it's up to you to drive it off the lot or not.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the update - I followed your directions to the letter - never touched anything and the Mac Mini just frozen again at the "starting Mac OS" screen. The blue bar fills up (after the two restarts) and then nothing.

Any ideas how to get out of this again without rebooting from the original disks and reloading the initial OS version?

Cheers

M

MacHeadCase

Very bizarre that your MacBook works well but that the Mini coughs that one right up.

Start in Safe Mode (holding down the Shift key at start up) see if it will start up at least. Note that Safe Mod disables all start up items but it will also clear some junk from the caches.

If it is a problematic restart, start up with your Install disk in the optical drive, restart holding down the C key and run Apple's Disk Utility to repair the disk, repair the disk permissions.

After that is done restart and report back to let us know how this went. I'll do some further research on my end.

Edited to add:

You might want to take a look at this Apple Support article, Troubleshooting: Mac mini won't turn on and try those troubleshooting tips. Make sure to try the PMU reset.

OP
T
Reaction score
Some success - starts in safe mode with latest Mac OS X update.

Restart normally however and freezes again at the same point

I now have the latest update running but obviously something is wrong somewhere - Can't connect to wireless network/internet but I have plugged in ethernet cable to 3com wireless router modem and got internet this way for time being.

Any utilities that I could download/run to help diagnose the problem?

Cheers and thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Well you can't connect to WiFi because the software is probably in your startup items which Safe Mode disables.

Which means that the problem could come from some piece of software in your startup items.

Can you pop in your install disk in your optical drive and restart holding down the D key so you can run Apple's Hardware Test and when prompted ask for the Extended Test (it will take a while to run too)? This is just to rule out hardware causing your problem.

Is your Mini still under warranty, btw? If you don't care for checking for this problem, maybe you could let Apple take care of it. You live in the UK, right?

In North America, they ask you phone AppleCare first if you're under warranty so they can guide you through basic troubleshooting procedures. If these don't get them anywhere then they'll tell you to take it in for repairs. This is ok because it opens a ticket for your Mac. But I don't know how it works in the UK...

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah - still under warranty - only got it a few days ago from Apple shop

I think I will need to take it in for them to look at - I upgraded the memory though but I understand that this doesn't invalidate the warranty.

(BTW I know the memory upgrade wasn't the problem as the issue occurred before the memory upgrade - I just went back to the last OS system.

Cheers

M

MacHeadCase

Ok well keep us posted so we know how this creepy problem got solved in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

What bugs me most is that your MacBook is ok but the Mini can't handle the same update: I think that Apple should be aware of this and you taking it back to get it looked at will make them aware of this problem.

Sorry I couldn't help you out of this.

Good luck.

Reaction score
MAC OS X 10.4.10 upgrade on Mac Mini

Hi
just been reading this thread and I too have a similar problem. I purchased a Mac Mini in June 2007. Starting up the system prompted me to install os x update 10.4.10 from 10.4.7. I did this and like touringman my system sits on the blue screen with Starting Mac Op System. It does not do this all of the time but most of the time. Sometimes when it is successsful it does not load my background wallpaper, just decides to put in the standard blue background, but more importantly it will not let me in to my MacHD folder. All other functions seem to work. I am very irritated by all of this cos I too was a windows fan, and switched to the mac after friends recommendations. I am in the middle of a reinstall of OS X 10.4.7 again, and this time KEEP 10.4.7 as this never gave me any problems. The only reason I upgraded to 10.4.10 again was that my videos did not play in iTunes under 10.4.7. I assume i can just upgrade QuickTime instead!! will let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
OP
T
Reaction score
After a visit to the Apple store where problem seemed to be resolved I got home and there it was again - wouldn't complete the boot up of 10.4.10.

2-3 hours on phone with apple care and they are completely in the dark BUT - heres the weird thing.... My Mini starts and runs perfectly with 10.4.10 .....when I connect a different monitor! - I don't know why but there you are - I have a fairly newish Viewsonic VP2030 which I used to use with my PC. Its an excellent monitor with great colours.
When I plug in a 3 year old LG 1810 the Mini starts and works fine.
Both are connected by DVI.

And to make it even wierder my MacBook works fine on OS10.4.10 when connected to the Viewsonic monitor - its just the Mac Mini that throws out the booting of this version when connected to the Viewsonic monitor.

The Apple engineers are gonna come back to me next week after doing some testing!

Anyone else with a Mac Mini - OSX 10.4.10 - booting problem - try a diffrent monitor!

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
A note for daviessp39 re Quicktime update.

Unfortunately the latest Quicktime version requires a more recent update of the MAc OS than 10.4.7 - I tried it like you to get round the problem (even QT 7.16 need a more recent version than 10.4.7 - I tried that as well)

Got to say that applecare were very patient on the phone with me.

Cheers

M

MacHeadCase

Whoah! I never would have believed that the monitor could have been the source of the problem! Wow! Glad I found that out! Will bookmark this thread just in case.

And it was really cool of you touringman to let us know of the outcome of this one! So a big thank you!

Hope you hang out with us. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.