Resizing Pictures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Is there a way of resizing pictures into a passport size picture without loosing quality. I can't seem to find this option in iphoto or preview.

Any Ideas?

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded Imagewell ....to resize a picture do you just drag the slider down from 100%.

It has numbers (like 1280x800) when i resize and save the picture this changes according to how much i dragged the slider. But what are these numbers measured in? How do I know what numbers the passport size photos are?

M

MacHeadCase

Those numbers are in pixels. What are these images going to be used for? Print or multimedia use?

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to print out.

Edit: What I've found when I try to resize a picture using imagewell the picture becomes blurry when i choose file, print and then preview in preview.app

M

MacHeadCase

For printing, make sure you keep a high ppi count. I suspect you reduced the image and the pixels per inch count as well which would of course make images fuzzy when printed.

For print never go below 180 ppi. Look at the interface in ImageWell, I'm sure it's in one of the settings: don't chooce 72 ppi, that's for multimedia (or images to be viewed on a computer screen).

Unless your originals are already at 72 ppi, then there isn't much you can do outside of Adobe Elements or Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
another vote for imagewell here. very good and useful program.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I can't see an option to change the ppi to 180...

Edit: I have also checked the online resources on the imagewell website, but it does not have the info im looking for

Edit: sorry I found out how to do it. I just used imagewell. But last time I exported as a jpeg and then previewed it with preview.app. I then went to print and then preview. In that window the checkbox next to scale to fit was checked, so thats why it was so blurred. I unchecked the box and it seems to work fine now.

Thanks for your help....

M

MacHeadCase

There is on the ImageWell website a link to their user forum. Maybe you can find an answer there. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if you can't print images you worked on in ImageWell and if the app is only for multimedia use but life is full of surprises... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Couldn't you just print the photo and set it to the size you want it (cm, mm, inches, whatever) in the print menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Unless your originals are already at 72 ppi, then there isn't much you can do outside of Adobe Elements or Photoshop.

Don't forget there's also gimp, which is free and has much of what Photoshop has to offer...

M

MacHeadCase

True, that. Do you still need X11 to use GIMP nowadays?

I have Photoshop now so never tried GIMP since way back.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yh you still need x11 for gimp

but there's a app called seashore which is same as gimp but doesn't require X11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I don't believe you need x11 for gimpshop though. You might give that a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.