"the alias could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC G4 Digital Audio,466 MHz, 768 SDRAM
Hi, i reacently upgraded from Panther, where my network worked fine, to Tiger where my networkings is well, notworking...see what i did there?

im connected to 1 windows XP PC and 1 Vista PC. on panther they just came up on my mac under a MShome folder in Network and i could go into the PCs and take files and stuff.

now when i click on them a message pops up saying:

"the alias 'PCs name' could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found"

with 3 buttons saying Delete Alias, Fix Alias and OK

delete alias says i dont have serficiant privlages to delete alias, fix asks me to select a new original and OK does nothing.

can anyone help me out?

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Sounds like you might be a victim of Tiger's borked network sharing. Try restarting the Mac. What I find is that it will happily mess up attached network shares whenever my Mac goes to sleep, or if the server is shut down/restarted, and often will refuse to reconnect. 10.4.9/10 have improved things, but it's still not (dare I say it) as good as Windows sharing.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the response:D

ive reset and turned of my computer lots of times since the problem started but nothings changed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also i cant upgrade to 10.4.9 becuase i dont have a big eunogh hard drive

Reaction score
I'm getting this issue on my MAC and i can't file a way on getting around this,

Please could someone help?

Reaction score
Problem could be PC computer names

I have experienced this problem for PCs whose NETBIOS (computer) names included hyphens. I'm not sure what the actual restrictions are, but I have not experienced this problem with NETBIOS names that contain only letters and digits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think you have answered your question with the no hard drive space answer. A HDD requires at least 15% free space to work anywhere near effectively. Time for a new bigger hard drive and really even Tiger is an old, old operating system.

400MHz G4's are over ten years old, released in January 2001.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.