BitTorrent clients - Transmission sucks? Or do I?

Reaction score
When it comes to torrents, I'm really not asking for much.

Transmission seems to be the most heavily recommended client out there, but I recently did the following:

I'm downloading a file that's around 5.6 gb, but I was/am downloading it to an external hard drive. I'm an idiot however and so didn't remember until this morning that the drive is FAT32, so the largest file I can put on the drive is 4 gb.

Anyway, Transmission stopped downloading, as would be expected.

Now, I want to move the file onto my Mac hard drive, and resume the download, however I have 2 problems:

1) I have looked everywhere (I thought) but I can't find any sort of option within Transmission to change the download location of a folder - I don't want to redownload the first 4 gigs I've got, I want to move the file and resume it.

2) When I try to move the file (after shutting down transmission even), I get an error along the lines of "some files in adffasdfsdfklsjd.mdf can not be moved". Any ideas?

Thanks everybody!

p.s. bonus question: Anyway to select only certain files for download in transmission? God, I can't wait for uTorrent to be released!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Under the preferences click the Transfers tab. You can select where to put the downloads or have it ask you where to put the file. Right now there isn't any way select certain files, it kind of stinks because I really do like that feature of some of the other clients. Utorrent should be out shortly so i hear (YAY)

Here is a snapshot.
picture3if7.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Unrelated, but hopefully you have upgraded:

Version 0.6.1 of Transmission did not strictly adhere to the complete BitTorrent specification. This resulted in the banning of that version from many private trackers. The issues were resolved in the subsequent release of 0.70.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT
uTorrent for Mac will be awesome...uTorrent is by far the best client out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I used to use Azureus, but it screwed with my network... disconnected me from the internet every 5 minutes, very frustrating. I'd have to reboot the router every time, which is in another room... eugh. I think it was something I was doing wrong, like I was using the wrong ports or something but it's been fine ever since I switched to Transmission so I can't be bothered to fix it...

Reaction score
I used to use Azureus, but it screwed with my network... disconnected me from the internet every 5 minutes, very frustrating. I'd have to reboot the router every time, which is in another room... eugh. I think it was something I was doing wrong, like I was using the wrong ports or something but it's been fine ever since I switched to Transmission so I can't be bothered to fix it...

Have you proved that it's Azureus? I find this true with my network too and I have no clue what's causing it and I too use Azureus. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.