Regarding the iPod Video's battery life.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the 80GB version of the iPod Video. Wondered how long the past generation iPod Videos have lasted (e.g. 30GB/60GB). When the battery dies do we just bring our iPods to an Apple Store? Can we do it ourself?

Also, I was told that when you do replace the battery you usually just get refurbished battereis. True?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
No, you don't get a refurbished model. Whoever told you wasn't correct.

They'll usually last anywhere from a year to 2 and a half years. You can do it yourself but it requires disassembly of the iPod and it is quite awkward.

OP
D
Reaction score
No, you don't get a refurbished model. Whoever told you wasn't correct.

They'll usually last anywhere from a year to 2 and a half years. You can do it yourself but it requires disassembly of the iPod and it is quite awkward.

Thanks iRye. So my buddy was half right. He did say the battery would only last roughly 2 years or so. Depending on useage of course.

2 years. Or 2 and a half still sounds a bit low to me. It's annoying to know that we'll be replacing the battery so soon.

I hope Apple works on this for their 6th generation iPods. Adding a "stop' button. And a song "delete" button. Surprised they didn't include such basic functions in the 5th generation iPods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Thanks iRye. So my buddy was half right. He did say the battery would only last roughly 2 years or so. Depending on useage of course.

2 years. Or 2 and a half still sounds a bit low to me. It's annoying to know that we'll be replacing the battery so soon.

I hope Apple works on this for their 6th generation iPods. Adding a "stop' button. And a song "delete" button. Surprised they didn't include such basic functions in the 5th generation iPods.

A "stop" button isn't necessary on a digital player; it's not like a CD where it'll keep spinning if you've just got it on pause.

As for a "delete" option; the idea of the iPod is that it's an extension of iTunes. A delete button would be contrary to that philosophy.

As for the battery life I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The first generations batteries would last 12 - 18 months, but they've been getting better since then. I've had my 60GB 5G iPod for 18 months and the battery is still as strong as ever, and I use it pretty much every day. I think it's got a bit longer than a year before it completely gives up, but I'm planning on getting a new one as soon as 6G comes out anyway. In my experience, your iTunes library will determine when you upgrade rather than the life of your iPod.

I got a 20GB iPod when my iTunes library was 6GB. Then I got my current one when my library was 38GB. Now my library is at 243GB, and I've still got about 80 DVDs to rip, and am getting at least one new album a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
On average, iPod batteries for older models (Gen 4 and below) will last 18-24 months before you will notice and degradation. The newer iPods (Gen 5) will last 24 to 36 months before you start seeing degradation. My Gen 1 lasted 24 months before it need to have a new battery, my wife's Gen 3 lasted about 30 months.

You can buy after market batteries for as little as $25 and installation is not difficult. I've changed multiple batteries and if you are careful you can have a new one in in about 5 minutes.

As stated above, there is no need for a "Stop" button, pausing a song actually does stop it as stops the Hard drive from continuing to spin. There is no need for an "Off" button either, as the iPod is never really off, it simply goes into a sleep state.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, regarding the delete function, I think it's a PITA to have to sync with iTunes to remove a few songs from your iPod. Songs you later decide you no longer want on the iPod.

As for "never being off"...could have fooled me. It looks "off" when you press the "south" position. Only time i've noticed it going onto sleep mode is when playing songs.

Any how, thanks for your posts guys. I'm outta here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
"Looking" off and being off are different things. You can make your computer go to sleep and it appears to be off, but it's not.

I agree about the delete feature. That has been a gripe since day 1 of Gen 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well, regarding the delete function, I think it's a PITA to have to sync with iTunes to remove a few songs from your iPod. Songs you later decide you no longer want on the iPod.

Which is why I have a 'no crap' rule for my iTunes collection. Everything on my iPod is something that if it comes up on shuffle, even if it played last week (which is more often that I thought it would be) I'm not going to skip it, or want to remove it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.