Problem Replacing Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
It's probably unpartitioned and needs to be by Disk Utility. Same thing happened to me when I tried to install a new HD in a new uh, "Mac" and I booted off the install DVD. There's an option in one of the menus to run Disk Utility, and it'll see it, then partition/format it for use. Then you can install OS X.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So i purchased the 120gb Harddrive below, and i got it today.
I removed my old one and inserted this one. I turnt it on and inserted the OSx disk. Now when it gets to the bit that seas select destination to install, nothing is there.

Also, if i turn it on and dont hold C, and folder picture comes up with a question mark in it.

Help!!!
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-101-WD&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=896

I highly recommend an adapter that allows you to hook up any hard drive externally. This way, you can take a look at the drive with OS X running and partition it ahead of time. You can even use a backup utility like SuperDuper to clone your existing drive to it.

I find this tool absolutely to be a "must have" in my toolbox.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so i only have a IDE External Harddrive case. I don't have any SATA ones, although, i have a 60gb external harddrive. I'm not sure if i can install OSx onto that and then boot from that with the harddrive in the Macbook.

Also, i got a little, like, it looks like a sugar packet you get from a cafe. It sounds like its got lots of tiny screws in it, although, i dont think its screws. It seas GreenPac - Do Not Eat on it. Is this something you put in the harddrive?

Also is there a way of partioning the harddrive without buying an external case?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok, so i only have a IDE External Harddrive case. I don't have any SATA ones, although, i have a 60gb external harddrive. I'm not sure if i can install OSx onto that and then boot from that with the harddrive in the Macbook.

Also, i got a little, like, it looks like a sugar packet you get from a cafe. It sounds like its got lots of tiny screws in it, although, i dont think its screws. It seas GreenPac - Do Not Eat on it. Is this something you put in the harddrive?

Also is there a way of partioning the harddrive without buying an external case?

The packet is silica gel. It's used to keep the packaging moisture-free. You can safely discard it.

As walkerj mentioned, I would try booting from the OS X install CD and running Disk Utility from the menus to prep your drive prior to installing.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou all. That worked great. :)
I'm making this a video for youtube, so you all get a special thanks. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.