Start up to grey screen!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450Mhz 1Gb Ram, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25Gb RAM
I Just bought a Power Mac G4 off eBay without a HDD, Graphics Card or Processor...
Now that i've got all the missing pieces wen i try to start up it just boots into a grey screen..
I no the HDD isn't formated for OS X so have tried running an OS X 10.3 installer disc i got with my ibook..
Holding down C while it starts up to run from the disc the screen will flash then turns into black and white vertical stripes....

I have heard people say that the grey screen is due to a "non stock HDD" but surely macs can run off other HDD's appart from apple branded ones????

The Processor is a powerPC 400MHz just the same as what it was orginally sold with..
And the graphic card is a GeForce2 which also came with G4 powermacs...

Anyone got any idea's..???

M

MacHeadCase

You will need to buy a full-install retail version of OS X. You cannot use an installer disk that came with another Mac as these installer disks are model-specific and can only work with a specific type of hardware.

And another problem you might run into with the Yikes! Power Mac G4 is that it can't see a bigger hard drive than 128GB in size.

OP
Finx_1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not with my Power Mac at the mo.. but...
I want Tiger on it.. as I have it on my Cube and my iBook G4.. (I no I have a bit of a collection of the G4 era going on...)
But if i'm right tiger install disc is a dvd.. and I think I have only a CD-drive..
Is it possible to get tiger on a regular cd???

(thought i'd drop it in that it's the AGP Graphics Model)

i'm ok with the HDD limit as the HDD i've got my hands on is only a 40Gb..
I have an OS 9 disc but that seem to do absolutly nothing... I can quite clearly here the Disc-drive spinning like mad put it in, but nothing else really happens (and this is whilst holding C)

I'm open to any ideas..
appart from people telling me to scrap it and upgrade to a G5... (even tho how tempting it is)
Cheers

OP
Finx_1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Erm... I'm from england and ain't too sure that apple US will post to the UK..
UK had an exchange system.. Tiger DVD for Tiger CD.. but that stopped on the 29th june... :(

Also I got signs of life from my G4!!!
While reseting the P-RAM the chime kicked in!!!!
and when reseting the PMU!!!
But still reverted back to the grey screen of doom..

But when trying to run any discs from my iBook G4 it still comes up with the vertical black and white lines..
but when running the hardware test disc from the ibook pack I got the lines but really glitchy????
weird...
But it's a sign of hope....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.