Just Got my new Powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
I have just recently gotten my new PowerBook g4 laptop.
17 inch screen
80 gig hard drive
512 mg's of ram - I will upgrade but I can buy memory for a cheaper price
128 graphics card
Um... well the newest model.

I am new to apple and I was wondering if any of u could give me some suggestions to keep my laptop fast such as anti-virus hard drive defragmenter and so on.

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
By default your system come with journaling on, because of that you don't need to worry about defraging the system disk.

If you are looking for a good program to ensure you don't have any disk problem, then you may want to purcahse disk warrior. As for a anti-virus program, I can not help you there, because I don't use one. I only use one on my work thinkpad pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Congrats on ur purchase, you now have a better laptop than I do :rolleyes:

Try to keep ur system up-to-date by using the built-in Software Update. You might wanna consider an Anti-Virus, but it really isn't too important. Norton is good for AV.

Btw, if ur into file sharing, make sure you don't install Limewire. Get anything, but Limewire. It might mess with ur system. Rest is all good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
firsteggprez said:
I have just recently gotten my new PowerBook g4 laptop.
17 inch screen
80 gig hard drive
512 mg's of ram - I will upgrade but I can buy memory for a cheaper price
128 graphics card
Um... well the newest model.

I am new to apple and I was wondering if any of u could give me some suggestions to keep my laptop fast such as anti-virus hard drive defragmenter and so on.

Thanks
YOu really don't need anti virus unless you wanna share files with a dows system and don't wanna spread anything to it. For routine maintain it tasks: repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions Also make sure you run cron tasks or use Mac Janitor, Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed. Welcome to Mac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I got norton AV for mac.. and it did more harm than good :(

After the reboot it asked for, it was super slow

OP
firsteggprez
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys i will make sure to do this when it comes on wedness day. Any more suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
firsteggprez said:
Any more suggestions!

Yes - relax and enjoy! You've got a Mac now; they "just work". :D

J

jwindhall

Strider said:
Btw, if ur into file sharing, make sure you don't install Limewire. Get anything, but Limewire. It might mess with ur system. Rest is all good.

What's wrong with limewire? I've been useing it for as long as it has existed and it hasn't been a problem what so ever.
p.s. I've got the sam Powerbook as listed above but with 1gig of rame

OP
firsteggprez
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im upgrading to a gig becouse apple is just to exspensive. I already bought the other 512 stick online. :)

OP
firsteggprez
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anymore suggestions! please i need every thing i can get about macs to keap them running like new. I have used pc's my whole life and i am not familiar with the interface but im sure it will be quite simple.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
firsteggprez said:
Anymore suggestions! please i need every thing i can get about macs to keap them running like new.

A program like OnyX, available here http://www.titanium.free.fr/, and OS X's own Disk Utility are really the only programs you'll need to properly maintain your new Mac. OnyX (or other programs like it - check out VersionTracker.com and MacUpdate.com for others) isn't even necessary, but it makes performing the maintenance much easier and more convenient.

I wasn't really kidding when I said to relax and enjoy the new machine - you'll find that keeping your Mac in good operating shape is very, very simple. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.