Does quicktime alternative work with iTunes?

Reaction score
Hey, I just wanna know if I uninstall quicktime and download and install quicktime alternative - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm will this quicktime alternative work with the iTunes still? Sorry I'm not exactly sure what quicktime has to do with iTunes anyway I have no idea lol but it's a big file almost 3 times size of alternative so yeah. Oh yeha and I got windows vista OS on one comp and XP on the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
iTunes relies on Quicktime to do all of it's heavy lifting as far as Codecs go for both audio and Video. There is chance that it might work, or not. Give it a try and find out, you can always re-download and install Quicktime.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hmmm ok. Anyone here at all use alternative instead of quicktime?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only used Quicktime alternative and Real alternative for last 2 years or so on my XP machines.
Had no issues with either of them. I did not however use iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Now that I think about it, you have to have QT installed for iTunes to even open. Not sure how you would make it think that the "alternative" was actually QT.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hmmm guess the alternative probably wouldn't work then if that's the case

Reaction score
Hmmm guess the alternative probably wouldn't work then if that's the case

vesh I originally logged on to get some info on Emacs, never having even switched one on before. Problem is a lost operating system, reinstalled but still will not run. Came across your question, I am an old man getting older by the minute and both son & daughter own an Ipod. Run Windows XP Pro and have installed Itunes for their use. They usually dowload moviesand I have the job of converting them. I use Win ACI Video converter which keeps asking for Quicktime alternative, even though the latest Quicktime is installed. So I downloaded. Win AVI started to either freeze or crash during conversion, so I installed QA, which resulted in Itunes asking me to reinstall, then came the fun and games, it would not recognise Itunes after new install and finally I had to delete it from the registry. I wrote to Itunes who said the codex were different and would cause problems, so I wrote to Win Avi who downloaded a patch which would convince Itunes that it was running the correct codex, except it didn't. I take out Itunes I have no bother with converting, put it back in and it freezes. So I know I am running a PC, but that's my story and PS, I have got the Emac up and running, it was a hard drive problem and what would have took me about 30 minutes top to replace, it took the best part of a week to dismantle the Emac ad twice as long to put it back together. I have mates who swear my MACs against PC's, me, well I think Mac is as archaic as the steam radio and wouldnt give it house room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no Mac as of yet
Quicktime alternative DOES work with iTunes!

I wanted to get an iPhone, but my PC (XP) wouldn't run QuickTime and thus also wouldn't run iTunes.
I tried Quicktime Alternative (2.8) and it works great!!!!!!!!
  1. Download iTunes, which also downloads Quicktime, and let the computer install both of them.
  2. Uninstall Quicktime.
  3. Install QuickTime Alternative, and, at least for me iTunes works, and I can also play Quicktime media!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.