Memory Upgrade

S

starrin

So now that I have my Powerbook back in hand from getting repaired -- I would like to upgrade the memory.

Currently my 15 inch 1.25 has 512 Mb -- I would like to get it to a gig. I have not looked but do they fill both slots with 256 or one with 512 -- probably the latter right:-(

So if I go to Crucial and get a stick of 512 -- I should install it in the lower slot I assume.

Do any of you think I would see a performance boost for day to day work -- or only when doing things like GarageBand, iDVD, iPhoto, etc...?

OP
J

jerodhusvar

starrin said:
Currently my 15 inch 1.25 has 512 Mb -- I would like to get it to a gig. I have not looked but do they fill both slots with 256 or one with 512 -- probably the latter right:-(

Actually, probably the first. 2 256mb sticks are, generally, cheaper than 1 512.

Honestly, you can probably work all year on 512mb. Having a gig would be nice, but unless you're doing some SERIOUS photoshop editing, DVD authoring, or the like, you'll probably be just fine with 512.

jjh

OP
S

starrin

I figured as much and I would probably get more for the money if I was to buy some useful software or a new bag:)

OP
J

jerodhusvar

starrin said:
I figured as much and I would probably get more for the money if I was to buy some useful software or a new bag:)

Office 2004 is sweet. :)

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Assuming ur using Panther, click the apple menu, click "About this Mac"

Then click "More Info..."; You will open System Profiler. On the left side, under hardware, click memory. You will be able to see how many memory slots are free in ur laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.