Restart Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
I'm just here surfing the web and listening to itunes when this black screen scrolls down and a little black box says to hold the power button to restart... I was wondering what causes this to happen and how could I fix it.. I have a C2D MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz with 1GB RAM... thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is called a kernel panic (kp). Similar to the blue screen of death on the other OS. It can be caused by software or hardware. If that is all you had running when it crashed my guess would be the Airport card crashed.

You can verify this by looking at your panic.log - just do a spotlight search.
If you see this on one line of the log: "com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros", it was the Airport card.

The log may or may not give you a clue as to what caused the crash.

wouldn't worry about a single crash, but would keep a record in case they continue, of what you were doing and what apps were open when they occur.

OP
DarkRaven24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has happen alot of times like about 10 times. I have also been having problems with my wireless because Airport says its connect but then my internet doesnt work and on my pc it does. I just turn airport off then back on and it works, but thats annoying. How could I fix this problem?

OP
DarkRaven24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2wire Wireless Modem and my friend brought his macbook pro over today and the same thing happened to his laptop... I'm thinking it has something to do with my modem...

OP
DarkRaven24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anything know if it can be my modem so in that case i can buy a Wireless N Router...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.